Coverting a barn into a nursery

**************************Update***********************

This is the current order of running (I hope)

Amazonails are going to do the plans
After PP & BR, I will

Arrange site power (generator until power arrives), hire a portaloo & dig a trench to get the water connected (using a hose until that is fitted)
Clear the barn & surrounding areas of junk/rubbish etc
Remove the roof (asbestos - £6.5K)
Lower walls, block up existing holes, cut for new windows (keeping old block/rubble to be crushed for car park foundations)
Arrange drainage (to interior floor level), cess pit (probably) & either rainwater tanks or soakaways (although I think I need one of them any way for overflow)
Put the new roof on this is about a metre wider & longer in each direction - the materials used are still to be decided - concrete tiles, onduline, roofing felt & shingles are all in the running with metal as a low possibility
Foundations of straw bale wall (AN course?)
Strawbale wall (AN Course?)
Fit windows & doors
Exterior finish (not sure if this is a plaster or a render or both.....waiting for clarification)

Then we do the interior
floor/heating
Partitions & ceiling
1st fix plumbing
1st fix electric
2nd fix joinery
2nd fix plumbing - Kitchen fitting & Bathroom
2nd fix electric
Paint walls white
Lay linoleum (if I can afford it or vinyl if I can't)

At least I think that's how it will go
The big question is how much (if any) of that I can do
I can paint the walls, but I need to decide if I should attend these courses on strawbaling et al so that I can carry on with it if it doesn't get finished on a course
Also whether I am physically capable of doing that sort of work or whether I pay someone to attend the courses & pay wages to do the work (I would need to pay for the course & thier wgae while they attended I guess)

Amazonails say I need to provide food for the courses & I don't worry about that an extra 12-22 to feed at lunch-time doesn't phase me (as long as they aren't too fussy)

Are you glad you asked?? ;)

Sponsored Links
Im glad ....you asked :)

asbestos - £6.5K

northwest firms GO all over the country an that is Double .....depending on seeing whats going ....if normal barn roof ........at most 4k ....:(

Katy

Dont just accept 1st ...2nd quotes local .... go online .... many firms near your area......advertise an leave details /ask for quotes ,get references an check them on big contract like Yours ...
with local trading standards......

Ok the majority ......are sound but big Project ask /na /demand Past work Photos ...

*strawbaling et al *

get em dotted /fixed ......board/plastered , dead cheap

cannot remember now is it graded ????

If yes use the net again an get quotes local....

an then ship lads in...
on day rate an GOOD food /lodgings ... LOT cheaper ....;)

get it sorted my love ;)

take care ...

Thanks - I am looking at the asbestos quote again

Also it has been suggested that I get a Structural engineer to assess the existing trusses, with the idea of reusing them.........Downside - high ceiling Upside - less money

I still don't know what to put on the roof.........

Come on ..... Youre a switched on lass ... now ...

get yourself sorted ....

*Your a Star !"

get quotes in writing , an references , check THEM !!! ( this the roofers , )

the *asbestos quote * get it sorted .... PLEASE !!

"I get a Structural engineer to assess the existing trusses, with the idea of reusing them.........Downside - high ceiling Upside - less money

I still don't know what to put on the roof........."

sounds awful for you ........ :(

Im not a home builder ...YOU ARE PAYING.... SO DEMAND ,
THE BEST !!

get 3/4 quotes an check em .........big job /check em ..... :)

Katy

Keep it going my love an get IT sorted ,

YOU DESERVE ...THE BEST ...;)

Sponsored Links
Had an estimate for the asbestos removal at £2500......that's a bloody big saving

FABULOUS -the Highways agency have said they will agree to the enterence being moved

I am so pleased

Katymac

Happy Easter ..:)

Hope you are chilling an taking a break ?

Glad to hear you are getting on with the *build*

Still struggling with an architect tho'

Been on holiday - was chillded now stressed again :rolleyes:

Get your self sorted ...

build wise , you are so sooo soft , your the biz ...
get it done on that day or no pay ....

be quite a Bitch ......its Your Money ..(of course you aint )

get it sorted in !!!! /

Hiya Katymac

Sorry ..my last post it was drunk ,
Dont get me wrong ..

I thought admin had stopped it here ....

mods here change your posts ...

being a Good guy ...

I always wished you the best in my advice here
with regards
moz

Katymac

sort it an ...hopefully we can click on the project

Katymac

we all sorted an onboard here ..;)

hows things ?

hope things are well with you ?

Been very busy

We have an architect...........some further issues (expensive ones I think)

1st issue - what is my nursery is it eco? is it green? is it sustainable? is it low carbon?
Which band wagon do I jump on - I consider all the issues important but what do I tag the nursery with?
I like to be green, eco, sustainable & as low carbon as I can get
Currently none of these seem to matter to my target audience (or only about 10-15% of them )
So it's really what I want that matters - which makes it hard - in 5 yrs XXXX will be the description people use and it's hard to guess what that will be (5 yrs ago I thought it would be green - but it isn't really)

2nd issue - would it be sad to offer to plant trees for the parents to offset the petrol used to travel to the nursery?

Architect has had some interesting ideas

Foyer outside the barn (to maximise floor space) - Do you think a canopy will be enough - architect thinking an actual porch

Window in Foyer on to Oval(?) kitchen so that the parents can see the food being prepared (not sure about this difficult one - I think if you do it right you wouldn't object to someone having a quick look - but I would hate to be watched (iyswim) & I might be cooking (at least initially))

My office above the kitchen (on a mezzanine?) with windows all the way round so I can see all the nursery

Highways have agreed an entrance but it will cost me a fortune in paving an 80m driveway - hardcore & hoggin? (about 600 sqm incl parking)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back