Supermarket parking - really?

It can be tricky sometimes. If a car parks on the white dividing line, it forces the 2nd parker to also park on or over the next white line. When the 1st car then drives away, it makes the 2nd parked look like the inconsiderate party. :(

Sponsored Links
I was exiting a retail park the other day, long queue of cars coming in and as I exited (in the exit lane) I came across as "doasyoulikey" driving in on the wrong side of the road. He then starts shouting at me...

him: "whatya doin' drivin' down a road when you can see a van comin' toward ya?
me: on the wrong side of the road?
him: couldntya see a great big van?
me: so you knew you were on the wrong side of the road?
<at this point cars are queuing up behind me trying to get out>
him: I just need to park my van to get some gear
me: did you not wonder what all the people in the left lane were queuing for?
him: I don't give a sh* about eedjits
me: well you must be some sort of t**t then, who now needs to reverse up to start of the queue.
him: go f*** yer mum

At this point I p***ed myself laughing as did my G/f who was in the car.

He eventually backed up to a point where he could force his way in to the queue.

It can be tricky sometimes. If a car parks on the white dividing line, it forces the 2nd parker to also park on or over the next white line. When the 1st car then drives away, it makes the 2nd parked look like the inconsiderate party. :(
What helps (although it'll never happen wider scale for various reasons e.g. greed) is to have wider parking spaces. We have a small local co-op store and even though it has limited parking spaces, each and every one of them is probably 2ish foot wider than the spaces found in supermarket/retail park carparks. Makes it so much easier for folk to come and go and park a reasonable distance from the car beside them. The developers could easily have created a few more spaces if they'd made them narrower, so hats off to them for doing what they did.

Sponsored Links
demanding to see my phone.
and has zero rights to do so. In a public place you can photo anything you like. Not even police have powers to take your device and look through it/delete stuff without a court order. Well done for standing your ground.

It keeps people out and from straying into his working area.
Hmm.. By forcing frail, young, elderly, prams and other vulnerable users into a road. Nice

If they want to keep people out of their working area, they should considerately barrier it off so they can still pass. Vehicle could form part of that by being parked away from the kerb, but remember some people have double width prams

Last edited:
What helps (although it'll never happen wider scale for various reasons e.g. greed)
What would also help is to paint arrows that alternate in/out on spaces and have a hatched dead zone next to driver doors. If people park nose in/nose out alternately then two adjacent driver doors gain extra clearance by this parking so the passenger doors of two adjacent cars are close together. Spaces can be narrower but drivers can still exit vehicles and gain access to the boot via the driver corridor etc. Passengers can either be loaded via the corridor (kids/smaller) or after the car has pulled out of the space (larger beings)

Hmm.. By forcing frail, young, elderly, prams and other vulnerable users into a road. Nice

If they want to keep people out of their working area, they should considerately barrier it off so they can still pass. Vehicle could form part of that by being parked away from the kerb, but remember some people have double width prams

Arranging barriers for a quick job, can often present more of a risk an inconvenience, than just using the vehicle as the barrier - there is also the point that there may not even be the width available to arrange barriers. It would also pose a risk, walking between the property and the vehicle when things are being frequently transferred between the two. In such circumstances, I engage common sense, and walk out in the road and would not object to a vehicle parked obstructing the pavement.

However, what I do certainly object to, is people parking on pavements when there is no actual need to. For instance - a local white van owner, decided it was absolutely fine for him to park his van on the pavement, and close up to his hedge, rather than in his drive. I complained several times to local policing about this regular parking, nothing seemed to get done, despite providing photos of the parking. Next I emailed the Chief Constable, within two days and for the first time, I spotted the van for the first time, properly parked either on the road, or the drive.

Never take the law into your own hands...

2_Parking.jpg

Mollie parked her car in a "short term" space outside her boyfriend's apartment block in Canberra, Australia for the afternoon but returned around 7pm to find someone had crudely scribbled "No Parking" on the frame of her driver's seat door.
@theDailyMirror

Might be able to one-up that; I know it looks like this VW is turning..

29E9DF12-B9B3-4E01-A30D-3A006B4CC650.jpeg

but hand on heart; that's parked! - this photo having been taken by a friend who couldn't believe they'd just seen the driver having exited the vehicle to go collect their child

This, was what I had to walk out in the road to pass this afternoon, dodging passing vehicles on my way out. Not so much parked, as abandoned on the footpath. Why is it parked thus? I really don't know, the road is perfectly wide enough to easily accommodate the light volume of traffic, even with a vehicle parked fully on the road, it would inconvenience no one at all.

An hour later, on my return, I was intending to take a better photo, but instead I got there in time to find the owner just getting back in, so I tapped on the window to ask him why he thought it OK to park like that, forcing people to go out in the road with their kids, pushchairs etc..

He could only apologise, he had no excuse or reason. It was obvious he was there to attend a funeral at the local church, but his was the only care parked in the road.

1671118878451.png

Might be able to one-up that; I know it looks like this VW is turning..

View attachment 288853

but hand on heart; that's parked! - this photo having been taken by a friend who couldn't believe they'd just seen the driver having exited the vehicle to go collect their child
My first thought was school run.

Sponsored Links
Back