supplementary boiler bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all

when you supplementary bond underneath a boiler do you connect the begining or the end of the wire back to the MET or just bond all the pipes together or is there a correct way

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
so the pipes should be just bonded together underneath the boiler with out a break in the cable?

Sponsored Links
Does the boiler manufacturer recommend SEB?

Some already have a metal plate fitted that connects all pipework together. If in doubt, contact them and ask.

True - but the installer who put my new boiler in told me (when I asked them why they'd done it) that their instructions from their electrician was to cross bond all the pipes regardless. They are not given the option to decide otherwise.

If you have the correct 10mm bonding for the gas meter and for the main cw supplies nothing else is required.

Logic being that the gas pipe is copper and thus the boiler has a bond via the copper gas (and water) feeds.

Do you have 10mm earth bonding at the MET?

True - but the installer who put my new boiler in told me (when I asked them why they'd done it) that their instructions from their electrician was to cross bond all the pipes regardless. They are not given the option to decide otherwise.
It's usually the plumbers (sorry, heating engineers) who insist (because that's what they've always done) that the electrician fit bonding before they will issue a certificate for the boiler.

thanks guys i just cross bonded all the pipes together and yes i do have earthing to my water and gas main in 10mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back