Supporting climbing frame posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, looks like the job for this easter is build a platform/slide thingy for the kids - it'll be a small platform roughly 1.2m square, and the same high, with one side attached to the garden wall and two posts at the corners opposite.

Now, I was planning to concrete the posts into the ground but looking at the climbing frame kits out there I see that they are built to just sit on the ground (e.g. http://www.climbingframesuk.com/climbing-frames/holt-climbing-frame/).

So, hoping for a lazier solution, I wondered if it would be suitable enough to just rest the two posts on a couple of paving slabs?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You'd need to be sure your garden wall is stable enough to support it, otherwise the whole lot could come down. I am not sure concreting in the posts would be much more work than laying the slabs properly. Note that there is a frame around the bottom of the one you linked to, presumably to stop the legs splaying apart: if you just have posts onto slabs with no frame a hard bump to the posts could cause some movement and a nasty accident.

Did you know that the manual for that product does tell you it has to be anchored to the ground, with supplied stakes? Though I can't see that it specifies they must be concreted in.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, yes I see what you mean - thanks for the additional info.

The wall seems to be pretty solid, but perhaps I could recreate the frame effect and then attach to the wall on a side or two for a bit more stability.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back