Supporting joists for stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am at the early stages of thinking about moving a staircase. Putting aside the fact that I know I need building regs approval and a structural engineer to validate any plan, I'm looking for some general advice on how an opening is made into a floor.

I have two pics. Pic A shows the house as it is now: about a 3.5m span with joists running across structural walls shown in green. It's an old house so I expect they are quite low spec joists but have yet to confirm.

I am looking at putting a staircase in as per Pic B. The staircase is shown in orange. I think therefore I need to add some structure as shown in red to support the cut joists.

How is this normally done?

Thanks.

Pic attached:

Sponsored Links
I think you'll need to double that joist running alongside the stairs and then install a double header across the stairs.
You might need a triple alongside the stairs.

I assume you'll have a landing at the top. You've just not drawn it in.

Yes, thinking of the last three stairs being a quarter turn onto the landing area.

More for interest than anything else, I'm trying to get my head around the structural calculation - I get the idea of what you can do with a single span and height x width and separation between joists, just not quite sure I understand how you calculate the load if you cut through the joists and hang them off another as per the stairwell diagram.

Maybe I should have studied to be a structural engineer :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back