Supporting wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i usually post in the plumbing and heating forum but i've had some building work done recently and could do with some expert advice.

I had a builder remove a supporting wall and fit a steel beam about two years ago. There's been some movement on one side which i think is excessive as it's made the door in a room above unable to close properly This has slowly happened since it was done along with cracks in the plaster work above.

He's told me that it's sat on a pad stone but i'm pretty sure it isn't, it's actually sat on some wood.

My question really is what kind of come-back have I got with the builder? I'm gas safe registered so there's a legal obligation there but who should I be talking to about dodgy building work?

Thanks, Andy

Sponsored Links
Ultimately the responsibility lies with the homeowner to ensure the works meet with Building Regulations. When you appointed the builder did you state that the works were to meet Building Regs? If you did not I suspect you will have little comeback. Steel beams usually require the employment of structural engineer who will provide a design and calcs submitted to and approved by Building Control.

Thanks for the info. It's the first thing i've ever undertake with regard to building work, i just figured i'd get a quote from the builder and he'd do it to regs without having to be prompted.

thanks, andy

Hi

If your less than 100% certain that the lintel is resting on a timber then you will need to remove some plaster to confirm your suspicions - if it is timber then it was wrong from the outset and the only way out of your problem will be to prop up the steel beam - add a bit of pressure and you should level out the floor upstairs!

Once you have the beam supported you will have to remove the offending piece of timber and replace with a section off a prestressed concrete lintel bedded on mortar and finally pack up any gap with some welsh slate, leave for 24hrs and then remove the props - Make good to damaged areas and job done. Or another option would be to cast your own concrete padstone!

The problem is the timber section cannot take the point load force from the beam that is resting on it and something has to give, in this case the timber!

Regards

Sponsored Links
Hi

If your less than 100% certain that the lintel is resting on a timber then you will need to remove some plaster to confirm your suspicions - if it is timber then it was wrong from the outset and the only way out of your problem will be to prop up the steel beam - add a bit of pressure and you should level out the floor upstairs!

Once you have the beam supported you will have to remove the offending piece of timber and replace with a section off a prestressed concrete lintel bedded on mortar and finally pack up any gap with some welsh slate, leave for 24hrs and then remove the props - Make good to damaged areas and job done. Or another option would be to cast your own concrete padstone!

more dangerous advice....

The problem is the timber section cannot take the point load force from the beam that is resting on it and something has to give, in this case the timber!

Regards

to prop up the steel beam - add a bit of pressure and you should level out the floor upstairs!
nobody has mentioned the floor above.... and worst of all.... you have not asked about the floor below..... so prop on.... and down.....

It may also be prudent to apply for Regularisation http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...proval/bregspresiteapprvl/bregsregularisation and consider checking the size of the beam is adequate. If you sell your house anytime in the next 5 years or so it may well causes problems when you come to sell if you have not had Building Regs Approval.

not advising the size of steel now.... why not..... :D
Why would I, its already installed and hidden behind plasterboard. :confused:

consider checking the size of the beam is adequate.

i am sure you can advise after asking the question....

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...... did your mother not teach you that.....

You really are an Idiot, three others in your dopey insulation thread thought so too. Now go back to the GD Forum where you fit right in.

Thanks for your help so far.

The builder came back last night and said the cracks were just normal movement, he insisted the beam is on a padstone so it looks like i'll have to take the plaster back to prove my point. I'm convinced these cracks aren't just from it settling down, surely that should have happened a long time ago? It's two years since it was done. When I prove it's on timber i'll just have to hope he'll sort it out for me!

Regularisation is in progress. I had to apply for it retrospectively as I hadn't even heard of it when I started the project and the builder didn't mention it.

Thanks, Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back