Supporting wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just bought a 70's built bungalow with a separate toilet and bathroom, and I want to knock down the dividing wall for obvious reasons.
the bathroom is approx. 1.8x1.6 meter's and the toilet is 1.8x 1.0, the joists in the loft do run across this wall so I did intend to use an RSJ for a 1.0 wide opening, however, after lifting the insulation in the loft I found that the plasterboard above both rooms is continuous, am I right in thinking this is not a supporting wall?

Sponsored Links
I would doubt it's load bearing if there's plasterboard between the top of the wall and the joists.

Unless it's that special load bearing plasterboard everyone raves about :LOL:

Thanks guys, there does still seem to be an element of doubt so i may have to call in a structual engineer

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me the ceiling has been boarded out before the walla were constructed and these were then built up to the ceiling.

What are the walls made from? Hollow stud walls or block?

Wherever the plasterboard is running over the wall it will not be load bearing as there is nothing above it to load onto the wall

Sounds to me the ceiling has been boarded out before the walla were constructed and these were then built up to the ceiling.

What are the walls made from? Hollow stud walls or block?

Block

it is probably not load bearing but anyways get a structural engineer to look at it, you wouldn't want to try your chances with that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back