supporting wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm thinking of extending a kitchen by either removing a wall or moving it over... is there a way of telling if it is a supporting wall?

Sponsored Links
jonny1 said:
i'm thinking of extending a kitchen by either removing a wall or moving it over... is there a way of telling if it is a supporting wall?

if it carries on upstairs or if the first floor joists sit on it.

easy delt with if it just supports an upstairs wall.. knock both down and replace the upstairs one with a stud wall...

Sponsored Links
I think I could put a beam in quicker than it would take to bring all the wall down from upstairs, build a stud wall, run all the services in, plaster and decorate.

Less mess too!

I always find the best way to determine if a wall is support something, is to look for what it may be supporting!
Common things to look for are a floor, wall, bedroom ceiling joists, sleeper wall/posts, purlins and rafters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back