suprima problems - dodgy engineer????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I get the impression that there is an inherant problem with Suprima boilers, and the answer is the PCB.

My point for discussing here is how my problem came about.

I have been in my home for around 3 years, and decided my boiler could do with a service. Called the local CORGI registered plumber and he trotted on round. Within 5 minutes he was telling me the boiler has PCB problems and the whole unit on the side would need replacing £400.

I had reset the boiler before this perhaps 3-4 times in the three years so thought it's something i'll deal with as and when.

within 48 hours of the engineer leaving, oh am i surprised the boiler needs constant resetting with the lovely flashing red light.

Has the engineer done anything trying to get more money, or am i just unlucky to have to fork out on top of the £165 it's already cost me.
He replaced the washers on the pump which is above the boiler while he serviced it.

Sponsored Links
get the impression that there is an inherant problem with Suprima boilers, and the answer is the PCB.

I take it you don't watch 'watchdog' then. :LOL: :LOL:

Your pcb may well need replacing as they are an inherent fault, but £400 is a ridiculous price. The pcb is around £200 there abouts, and it takes around 30minutes to replace. A service should not need to cost more than around £50-£70 and why did he replace the pump washers?? I would be very suspicious given the prices you are paying. But don't be surprised if the pcb does genuinely need replacing.

try googling 'potterton fixed price repair'.
You might even get it fixed for free.

Sponsored Links
He changed the washers due to a small leak onto the top of the boiler case. It did take him 2 attempts to get the washers in right and i was getting a little worried about his competence.

Think i'll try a new plumber and get a few quotes.

To do the job properly including checking the gas valve settings and the operation of the boiler I would expect to take at least an hour!

I would charge £244 but point out first that BG would do it cheaper on their fixed price repair.

Tony

To do the job properly including checking the gas valve settings and the operation of the boiler I would expect to take at least an hour!

I would charge £244 but point out first that BG would do it cheaper on their fixed price repair.

Tony

god you are slow tony. changing the pcb takes 30mins absolute tops. checking BP and FGA 2 minutes.

Tony

An hour!, you'll be telling us it takes 90 minutes to service a bbu next!!.

Got a suprima pcb down to 14 minutes last week, but then I was under pressure to as the taxi was waiting to take the customer into work and I was not charging for my labour

been checking threads all over and BG seem a good bet.

The price quoted is that with being on there price plans or on the emergency call out?

The boiler keeps working when i turn it 'ON', but locking out on the timer. I don't want to keep getting up at 5 in the morning to keep pressing reset. Guess i'll be digginh into me pocket again.

Tony

Got a suprima pcb down to 14 minutes last week, but then I was under pressure to as the taxi was waiting to take the customer into work and I was not charging for my labour

No, only 75 min for a BBU.

How do you have time to check the heating operation and balance and bleed any rads when you are testing the boiler if the whole job is only taking 14 minutes.

Paul Barker takes an hour on the computer after every repair.

Some of my customers seem to take 14 minute just to pay!

And I cannot drink the coffee too fast if its hot although if I am in a rush I do drink it at the boiler rather than on the couch.

Tony

Tony

No, only 75 min for a BBU.

you are getting quicker tony. a few months ago it took you 2 hours.

Paul Barker takes an hour on the computer after every repair.

what game is he playing? :LOL:

And I cannot drink the coffee too fast if its hot although if I am in a rush I do drink it at the boiler rather than on the couch.

christ, no wonder you take forever to do a job. couch? :LOL:

You would have known before he came if you had pcb problems.

I charge approx £324 inc VAT, for a new pcb on a suprima, but although they have a bad reputation it is not always the pcb.

Sounds as though he has fitted a duff one on your boiler.

Sounds as though he has fitted a duff one on your boiler.

My interpretation Dave, is that he has only quoted for replacement but has not been asked to actually do the job.

His price was 23% higher than your price, 63% higher than mine and 88% higher than the British Gas price!

However, my interpretation is that the OP thinks that his PCB is still usuable and the plumber he called has somehow spoilt it to encourage him to accept his overpriced quote.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back