Potterton Suprima 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved house, my new home (only 1 year old) is fitted with a potterton suprima 80 gas boiler.

Like many other posters on here I have the problem of locking out. This happens intermittently, often 5+ times a day. If the boiler is not locked out is in in call for heat mode (flashing green light) but without the pilot being lit. This obviously causes frustration as I can never seem to get consisent heat. I am fed up pressing reset!

I have had two separate engineers have a look, both pro active in the way they apprached the problem. The first was unlucky in that we could not re-create the problem while he was there and this limited the amount of help he could give. The second managed to identify an electrical issue (turning mains off and on again started the boiler up) but could not pin point the source. He did look at the board but did not think that this was source of the problem.

So I am at a bit of a loss with all of this, does this sound like the PCB problem seen on other postings?

Sponsored Links
First thing to check when ANY boiler locks out is to measure the temperature of the water leaving the boiler. If it is above the boilers overheat threshold the boiler is behaving correctly. It has detected a problem and responded as it should.

Everybody seems to assume when a boiler fails through over heat detection that the boiler is at fault. 'Must be the PCB lets change it'!!!

Check the temperature of the water and if it is high then look for the cause. No 1 suspect the pump. Check it is working correctly, remove it. The last one I changed was almost blocked by crud.

Replaced pump - boiler stopped overheating. Lockout, due to overheating, is not always a fault with the boiler, even with Suprima's!

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back