Suprima 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I could used little help with a problem I'm having with a Suprima 80

We have a Suprima 80 and a Gledhill hot water storage unit.

We have had countless problems with the Suprima 80 and earlier this year had the new replacement PCB fitted by BGS. In November the boiler failed again and BGS changed the

Fan Models 70 and 80
Pressure Switch
Temp Thermistor
Overheat Sensor
Spark Electrode
and another PCB assy (again the new style one)

We are now having problems again !!

The boiler is sitting on flashing green but the rads and water are not hot. Sometimes the boiler will fire run for a few seconds (usually about 10) and then switch back to flashing green. The water in the gledhill is about 54 so well below what it needs to be.

BGS have been out again today but no joy, so I'm (luckily) using the geldhill SWITCH to provide hot water and some heating. They are coming out again tomorrow with a the tech manager, but I would appreciate any advice in the meantime.

Does it sound like I have the new PCB with the new fault ?? and am I unlucky enough to have had 2 of the new control PCB both with the same fault

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would be looking at the earth continuity and the condition of the spark electrode lead.

Sponsored Links
Baxi part number pcb kit 5111603 is the lastest board

Its the same board its just bg's national parts centre number.

Get over xmas an bite the bullet get a new boiler ,suprima is a pile of sh#te no matter how many times they redisgn the board it doesn`t work . Ok your on contract and getting it fixed but is it worth all the hassle of no heat etc

hmm thats unlucky....it looks to be the pcb again

I'm trying not to be bias.......... but

I'd get rid of the Gledhill :oops:

"""We have had countless problems with the Suprima 80 and earlier this year had the new replacement PCB fitted by BGS. In November the boiler failed again and BGS changed the

Fan Models 70 and 80
Pressure Switch
Temp Thermistor
Overheat Sensor
Spark Electrode

We are now having problems again !!

The boiler is sitting on flashing green but the rads and water are not hot. Sometimes the boiler will fire run for a few seconds (usually about 10) and then switch back to flashing green. The water in the gledhill is about 54 so well below what it needs to be.

BGS have been out again today but no joy, so I'm (luckily) using the geldhill SWITCH to provide hot water and some heating. They are coming out again tomorrow with a the tech manager,"""

Really this is quite amazing that British Gas can send out people so many times and they just change parts without properly diagnosing the real problem. They must have spent many times the annual service charge.

Perhaps its not so surprising if you knew their training is "given" but there is no termination of employment if the "learning" does not keep up.

Tony

Agile said:
Perhaps its not so surprising if you knew their training is "given" but there is no termination of employment if the "learning" does not keep up.

Tony

And what a hugely irresponsible company they would be if that were the case Tony....50k to train an apprentice and then termination when they struggle to find a (possible multiple) fault. I'm sure that would go down well with customers. A visit that runs into a 3rd vist gets escalated up the scale of management and senoir engineers with each subsequent visit and any area of knowledge found to be short should then be either be resolved by personal tutoring or possibly one of the many in house courses.

Well ollski, what do you make of the reported multiple visits? Has all that retraining and management involvement occured?

As for changing:-

Fan Models 70 and 80
Pressure Switch
Temp Thermistor
Overheat Sensor
Spark Electrode

Doesn't that seem a case of change everything until you hit on something which fixes it?

It also seems the the more senior "tech manager" is only now about to visit to see whats going on.

Its seems that at the trade price those parts would cost us £490 !

All I can say is that no independent could get away with "repairing" a boiler by replacing all those parts and charging the customer for the cost of the parts!

Tony

The difficulty is Tony that I would imagine that those parts were ordered but only 1 or maybe 2 fitted, they will still show up on the job sheet if the engineer keeps them on the van just in case. If the job is completed but then recalls it is a first visit again. If the fault is intermittent what else can you do?

ollski said:
The difficulty is Tony that I would imagine that those parts were ordered but only 1 or maybe 2 fitted, they will still show up on the job sheet if the engineer keeps them on the van just in case. If the job is completed but then recalls it is a first visit again. If the fault is intermittent what else can you do?

i have to agree. a lot of those parts are part of most engineers van stock and the list given is not always what is actually fitted. unless the customer has watched every move the engineer made you can discount that.

you are also comparing your day and job time allowance to a BG engineers....i wish people would stop doing that as it makes no sense.

the fan isnt normally van stock and im surprised that was fitted.....if it was.

i can assure you under the new regime they started a few months back the technical manager will be keeping a very close eye on multiple visits and parts usage.

we all know how difficult intermittent faults can be...especially if you have to essentially fault find on two appliances....the suprima and the boilermate.

still looks like pcb again to me though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back