Surely this electric question has not been asked before!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

I am undertaking a kitchen ring installation, the electrician has surveyed what I am installing and is coming next week to test and certify.

I have a total of six appliances fed from the ring, but did not want alot of switchable spurs above the worksurface to isolate each of them. I felt it would look cluttered. I therefore opted for MK's grid range which allow 2 x double pole 20A switches to fit on one single gang plate. I then have a whole bank of unswitched spur plates which are positioned below the worksurface to feed the switches. The unswitched spur plates are reasonably accessible because a they will be behind a wide drawer unit, which allows the drawer to be removed.

The electrician (whilst he had not seen this method before) was broadly in agreement however, his only comment was that in the event of a fault, a future homeowner may pull an appliance fuse from the bank of unswitched spur plates and then for some reason open a single gang isolator switch plate and wrongly assume that both switches are dead (remember that the two switches will be on seperate spurs). He advised that a note / label should be placed in each single gang isolator plate backbox (the one that contains 2 x DP switches) effectively stating that two circuits feed the switches on the plate and should be considered live.

I propose to use the following text on the label "Warning - The switches attached to this plate are fed by two indivdual spurs. Until both spurs are isolated, all terminals in this backbox should be considered live".

I have worded the note to provide clarity to the untrained. Please advise on whether or not you consider it is suitible for the application. Perhaps it could be customised for each switchplate to detail what spurs feed it, althought then it would have to be captive to the plate so that it could not be mixed up with other plates if a future homowner were to renew switchfronts

Kind Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
If you have positioned the grid switches above the worksurface and close to the appliances they control then you have provided a means of local isolation, so I see no problem there. My next question would be to ask why you have opted to include fused connection units to feed the grid switches whatsoever, as they aren't required.

That aside, attaching a warning label to the FCUs as you have suggested is a good idea.

The switches are 20 amp, HOWEVER this does not mean they cannot be connected to a circuit of higher rating, for example a 32 amp ring main - this is because if they are connected to a 13 amp socket, this is the maximum load that can be put on each switch! ;) I'd loose the fuses, unless you're not using 13 amp sockets?

Otherwise the note idea sounds fine. Alternative wording would be "remove BOTH fuses before working on this switch" or "Isolate ring main before working on this switch" (for total safety)

Include similar notes on both fuse and switch, in case the person hasn't realised which way you've wired them. ;)

Guys,

Sorry, I am an amateur some please try to bear with me!!

To add some detail, I intend 'building in' a number of appliances (built in cabinets, not fully integrated), so to reduce the appliance depth, I have opted for fused outlet plates to wire the appliances, as opposed to switchable sockets. The appliance manufacturer's Miele appear to have no problem with me removing the plug. Perhaps this provides some justification for having a fuse at the bank of spurs.

Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
assuming uk means England and Wales one if not both of them is breaking the law

Presumably because the electrician has agreed to certify an installation he has not undertaken himself. Only building control are legally allowed to do this, but the OP could be referring to an electrical inspector sent by BC.

assuming uk means England and Wales one if not both of them is breaking the law

Presumably because the electrician has agreed to certify an installation he has not undertaken himself. Only building control are legally allowed to do this, but the OP could be referring to an electrical inspector sent by BC.

could be, but you know as well as I do it isnt

there again if it is then my advice stands again BUT IN CAPITALS THIS TIME

Would 2 x 3 gang plates, close together, but each separately supplied from its own spur be the answer?

why isolate any of the appliances ? should have just put sockets or (unswitched flex outlet spurs) under worktop hieght and protect the ring via rcd at board . money to burn springs to mind. there is no reglation stating that appliances have to be isolated... :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back