Surface mount ceiling lights for kitchen-diner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for light fittings for a kitchen diner, and I wonder if anyone has a specific recommendation. 'Tis a 9ft ceiling in a 4x4m room. I'm looking to do 4 or 5 fittings at a cost of perhaps £10-£20 purchase price each. It is for a rental property.

Important points I am after are:

a - Ceiling surface mount (no intention to chop holes in the ceiling). Wiring can be from above easily.
b - Lightbulbs that last a fair time - ie non pop-every-3-minutes dificult to replace spotlights for the sake of looking zeitgeisty.
c - Attractive, and inexpensive to install and run.
d - Ideally dimmable as it is a diner, but that is a desire not a requirement.
e - Not intricate fittings to avoid constant dusting, for T convenience.

I think what I am after may be something with a standard bayonet fitting so that I can use low-energy compact fluorescent bulbs, but these seem to be thin on the ground.

I would consider LED spotlights, but I don't think the reliability/cost balance is there yet, and I'm not convinced by my experience of G9 type halogen bulbs.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ferdinand

Sponsored Links
You can get CFLs in both bayonet and Edison screw but if you intend to dim you will need dimmable CFLs as not all will dim, they are more expense and could blow 40% of your budget.
But I do agree ceiling mounted lights are much easier and cause less hassle than downlights!

Thanks guys.

So, at it's most simple, that's something like this, then:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/brushed-chrome-circular-ceiling-light/79515

Which is precisely £4.30 incuding the bulb. Or this bathroom one to be a little posher:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/portal-brushed-chrome-bathroom-ceiling-light-gls-60w/88976

And then make sure that there are enough sockets for a supplemetary plug-in spotlight to be used easily on the end of a run of wall units should T require romantic dinners.

Ferdinand

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back