surveyor found a broken asbestos pipe in roof space

You have withdrawn from the purchase!

If you like the house then I think that you should confirm your offer on the basis that the vendor will have to get the asbestos at his cost.

Its his problem and not yours!

Tony

Sponsored Links
pay some polish guy £20 to clean it off. snorted

With Asbestos it is not that simple. Removal in this way DOES NOT leave the property safe. It does not take much dust to kill.

To dispose of correctly a contractor needs to remove all traces of dust from the area as well as the pipe. Don't just tell the vendor to sort it out tell them to sort it out AND provide a certificate from a recognised asbestos removal company stating what they removed and certifying how it was done, and how the area was cleaned up.

Is the asbestos mentioned in the Home Information Pack?????????????

As far as I am aware the HIP inspection does not actively look for evidence of asbestos.

In amy case I dont think the HIP inspectors have much if any training at identifying asbestos.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Firstly the property is in scotland so does not have or require a HIP. We have a different system up here The vendor is someone selling due to debts so would not have the money to have it done, and was reluctant to reduce the price. So we withdrew.
The asbestos sheet that contains White blue and brown asbestos is broken and fibrous, as is the white asbestos lagging on the chimney, this means the chimney would have to be opened up throughout the house, and all the new rockwool in the roof space removed and re-layed, as it will now be contaminated.
The scientist from the LA reckoned it would probably cost in excess of £7000 to have it done and clean air certificates issued. Our bank immediately put a retainer on any mortgage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back