Suspect bra wire in washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife reported a missing bra wire a couple of weeks ago. We checked the filter and the drum but found nothing. Today the washer started making a horrible metallic scraping sound. We stopped it, rotated the drum which was smooth with no noise. Nothing in the filter either.

It's a Hoover machine. is there anything I can do to get inside it and have a look or is it an engineer job ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Remove the sump under the drum. It's a black rubber cup.

Yeah. That's it undo clip and have a look in the hole.

Sponsored Links
I got to this via taking the back off , not from underneath. Can I also turn the machine on it's side to make it easier to get to ?

Took it off, looked and felt inside and nothing. What I can't understand is why it isn't making a noise when I turn the drum. Put it all back together :(

It has got caught between the outer and inner drum. Due to the weight of clothes it will scrap. It will come out eventually in the sump.

Yeah it will loosen it up and drop down to the sump.

I also read this on an advice site:

Objects trapped in between the outer tub and drum can also be the cause of noise, things like bra wires are extremely common to be retrieved from around the heater between the drum and they can cause damage to the machine and any clothing in it.

The power light will not come on anymore as normal. If you mess around turning the dials a red light briefly came on and managed to get it to do a wash but this time again, no power. Just about got it going again but it does not turn on like it used to when the power is on.

Possibly the item is now near the element. If you can't see it through the sump, try taking the element out and attempt to spot it from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back