Suspected faulty/ broken detector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In a recent adventure decorating my house. I unscrewed one of the detectors, an Optex RX-40QZ, to paint around it. When attempting to secure it again my screwdriver accidentally touched one the back of the circuit board, then smoke started appearing and the alarm went off. I went to turn off the alarm and then noticed the led light on the dectector was now constantly on and when I try to set the alarm it immediately thinks there is a tamper/ suspected intrusion.

Questions:

1) Have I fried the detector?

2) Is there anyway I can switch/ unplug off the detector and set the alarm as the other detectors in the house are fine?

3) Can I easily replace the detector if I was to get a new one following the existing wiring?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Mehul

Sponsored Links
Most detectors have a terminal strip with 6 connections , usually labeled

C , C or AL -AL , these are the alarm circuit

T , T or TAMP , these are the tamper circuit

12v , 0v , these are the power connections.

As long as there are no resistors or ID chips across these terms , then you need to isolate the power wires (from each other) , and connect the tamper wires together , and connect the alarm wires together.This will allow you to use your alarm without that detector.
You may have also blown the AUX fuse , usually about 1Amp 20mm.

Most pir detectors are wired similarly.

Most detectors have a terminal strip with 6 connections , usually labeled

C , C or AL -AL , these are the alarm circuit

T , T or TAMP , these are the tamper circuit

12v , 0v , these are the power connections.

As long as there are no resistors or ID chips across these terms , then you need to isolate the power wires (from each other) , and connect the tamper wires together , and connect the alarm wires together.This will allow you to use your alarm without that detector.
You may have also blown the AUX fuse , usually about 1Amp 20mm.

Most pir detectors are wired similarly.

Hey Denford,

Thanks for the advice. Do I need to power down the system, before I connect the relevant wires together to avoid blowing any fuses?

I have already replaced the AUX fuse, so that should be fine.

Cheers,
m

yes, power the system down.

You have already learnt that accidents happen when working on powered up electrical equipment, now power it down any other time or you may well end up causing more damage :D

Sponsored Links
my screwdriver accidentally touched one the back of the circuit board, then smoke started appearing

Whatever the smoke start appearing from needs replacing.

I doubt it was the screwdriver that started to go up in smoke, so more than likely it was something on the detector. I would have the detector replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back