SVP requirements above the final connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Do any of the fall type requirements for an SVP apply above the last branch/connection connected to it? Can't find anything online anywhere. Basically planning a new SVP and want to take the venting part of it as far across the side of the house as we can to prevent shading on solar panels. Haven't thought about how it might look yet (****, I think is the probable answer) and it's likely to be vetoed by the wife, but just thought I'd check.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the arrangement, you could use a AAV and avoid all this but only if allowed.

Dry section can be as you like, (within reason, cannot have any dips in it that could collect water etc), but otherwise route it to suit your requirements. Just ensure its adequately supported, use welded bends where necessary.

Sponsored Links
Would an AAV be approved by the local drainage company or building control?
You don't need permission. Just check it is fitted to manufactures instruction and guidance in Approved Document H.

You don't need permission. Just check it is fitted to manufactures instruction and guidance in Approved Document H.

Installation must conform to BS EN 12380 so there are some cases where you are prevented from installing one depending on the neighbours configurations.

Installation must conform to BS EN 12380 so there are some cases where you are prevented from installing one depending on the neighbours configurations.
Yea, like I said, follow the relevant guidance.

BS EN 12380 actually says nothing about installation requirements. It is only a standard of manufacture for the actual AAV.

Doc H 1.33 means you fit in accordance with 12380 and requirements of conformity in 12380 means there must be arrangements made to relieve positive pressure and you don't adversely affect the vent necessary for below ground sewers.

I was always told as a rule of thumb that means a true open vent every 5th house on a branch but could be mistaken.

you fit in accordance with 12380 and requirements of conformity in 12380 doesn't cover any of that.means there must be arrangements made to relieve positive pressure and you don't adversely affect the vent necessary for below ground sewers.
Only that the valve complies with manufacturing requirements of 12380, which says nothing about installation methods/requirements.

And, of course, Approved Doc H is only guidance.

I was always told as a rule of thumb that means a true open vent every 5th house on a branch but could be mistaken.
Regs require the Head of each main drain run to be ventilated, so usual practice is to provide a vent at a suitable point on every property.

Thanks all. Building control have said that it needs to be open vented so we'll have to do that at least for the short term then could try and AAV later down the line. The solar panels have Solaredge optimisers on them anyway so any shading should have minimal impact regardless...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back