SWA conductor gauge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help guys!

My customer has a shower in a barn, which seems to have RCD protection, but she wants a more powerful unit.

The current one is an 8.5kW Triton T100Si. The proposal is to fit a 10.8kW Mira unit, but I need to check that the existing cable and circuit protection is adequate.

The cable to the shower is SWA, but I don't know what gauge it is. Can anyone tell me where to look up the diameter of SWA cable conductors so that I determine what it is?

Sponsored Links
some cable manufacturers have overall diameter sizes spec sheets on their websites. you can often work it out with a vernier gauge and the downloaded sheets.

having said that tho, it cant be that difficult in your situation to identify it. can you not look at the cores and compare?

some older cables have the size stamped on the outer sheeth i.e ( 4 x 10) although not all do (it seems to be standard practice now though with new cables thank goodness)

Someone will be here with a link in a minute.The newer (XLPE) SWA's usually have the size and no. of cores embossed on the side - silly question but have you looked?

industryspark said:
some cable manufacturers have overall diameter sizes spec sheets on their websites. you can often work it out with a vernier gauge and the downloaded sheets.
Thanks. Can you give me an example of a cable manufacturer so that I can download said sheets?

having said that tho, it cant be that difficult in your situation to identify it. can you not look at the cores and compare?
What would I compare the core size with? :confused:

some older cables have the size stamped on the outer sheeth i.e ( 4 x 10) although not all do (it seems to be standard practice now though with new cables thank goodness)
What do these numbers (4 x 10) represent?

Sponsored Links
ricicle said:
Someone will be here with a link in a minute.The newer (XLPE) SWA's usually have the size and no. of cores embossed on the side - silly question but have you looked?
Thanks ricicle. I have looked, but so far with not with much effort because most of the sheath is out of reach, and what I can get to is covered in straw particles and horse sh*t an' stuff.

cant remember the site i got mine from.......they are stook in the back of my OSG at work.

compare the core size visually to samples and take a educated guess :LOL:

4x10 would be 4 core 10mm

Softus said:
What would I compare the core size with? :confused:
You can compare the cores with a piece of cable of known size, say from a piece of twin and earth.

What do these numbers (4 x 10) represent?

4 x 10mm² is a 4 core 10mm² cable.

2 core 4mm = 14.7mm external diameter
2 core 6mm = 15.9
2 core 10mm = 18
2 core 16mm = 20
3 core 4mm = 15.3
3 core 6mm = 16.6
3 core 10mm = 19.5
3 core 16mm = 21.8
4 core 4mm = 16.4
4 core 6mm = 18.7
4 core 10mm = 21.1
4 core 16mm = 23.6

OK guys, I'm getting the idea now. This is a great help, and some blindingly fast responses. Much respect.

I'll get myself a bunch of samples and make another site visit.

The customer needs something powerful with which to wash off muddy horses legs (and other bits), so my only other questions are:

Is there such a thing as an instantaneous electrically heated shower rated at more than 10.8kW?

If so, is it feasible to fit one? Clearly the decision needs to be subject both to the supply rating and to the cabling.

horses do not need Hot water, they will be pleased and surprised if it is above freezing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back