SWA current capacity

Sponsored Links
oh do't worry your little head about that. I made sure my doors a wide enough for anything when I built my house

If some of you Electricians did not charge so much , you would prob get an awful lot more work. Smaller profit = greater turnover? it worked for me for 20 odd years as self employed.
That only works if one is not already getting as much work as one wants, or can do - in that situation, lower charge = lower income :)

In any event, some of us (like me) are not (and never have been) electricians, so it's a bit moot!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I can see where John is coming from , but what would you rather do have a job for £100 and be paid for it or charge £150/200 for the same job and not get it? that is a fundamental question that is at the root of a lot of our problems in this country I think. BUT lower charge = less income is surely better than higher charge but No income?

I can see where John is coming from , but what would you rather do have a job for £100 and be paid for it or charge £150/200 for the same job and not get it?
Of course - if one isn't getting enough work because one is over-charging, then one needs to reduce one's prices. However, as I said, if one is already getting as much work as one wants (or can cope with), then lowering one's charges will do nothing but lower one's income.

There is, of course, also a morality side to it. My great-grandfather was a very successful baker and shopkeeper, and also a very religious man. He decided what he considered were fair wages for his staff, and for himself and if he found that there was then money left over, he didn't usually put it in his pocket as 'extra profit' but, instead, reduced his prices so as to benefit his customers, whilst he and his staff got 'reasonable incomes'. I doubt that many would follow that business model these days (although I suppose that 'co-ops', with small and big Cs, essentially do that)!

Kind Regards, John

Charging less to obtain more work will generally fail.

There is always someone willing to do the job for less, and the type of person that only wants the lowest price are the kind of customer that no business wants or needs.

Charging less to obtain more work will generally fail.
Indeed, unless, of course, one was charging too much in the first place.
There is always someone willing to do the job for less, and the type of person that only wants the lowest price are the kind of customer that no business wants or needs.
Yes, that's often the case - although it does result in some people paying more than they need, just because they assume (not necessarily correctly) that 'more expensive' necessarily means 'better', or that 'cheaper' necessarily means 'worse' (just look at Aldi/Lidl etc., or at the 'cowboy builders' we see on TV who charge a fortune for awful work!).

As an example of how people can be silly in thinking that more expensive is necessarily 'better', and since my days at school have been brought up in this thread, I can tell the story of how I "saved" the Saturday 6th form dances! They had fallen into decline, with very poor attendance, and a series of people had been 'put in charge', and had tried all sorts of gimmicks with little effect. My turn came, and I also tried various gimmicks which didn't make much difference. Finally, in desperation, I trebled the price of the tickets (without changing anything else) - to a price that 6th formers really should not have been able to afford in those days. Attendance rose dramatically overnight, and remained the same for the rest of the time I was at school (with the tickets continuing to be 'very expensive')!

Kind Regards, John

Well i thank you all all your comments.some have been very helpful. So I am signing off now as I have other jobs to do. Being retired has never been easy- too many jobs to do etc

Kind regard

wiseingup

and John, your G/grandfather had the right idea, Industry could learn a thing or two. But sadly it will never happen again "Greed and SELF" are the things to aspire to these days!

and John, your G/grandfather had the right idea, Industry could learn a thing or two. But sadly it will never happen again "Greed and SELF" are the things to aspire to these days!
There is, of course, a potential danger in not making at least some 'excess profit'. One of the few things I remember from attempts to teach me about Economics at school (they thought it was a good idea to try to teach science 6th formers about such things!) was that it's impossible to run a business on a 'break-even' basis - in practice, it will either make excess profit or a loss, and the moral there is that if one doesn't always try to generate some 'excess profit' one is likely to end up making a loss!

Kind Regards, John

If some of you Electricians did not charge so much , you would prob get an awful lot more work. Smaller profit = greater turnover?
Maybe all sparks could work for minimum wage because loads of other people do! Oh but hang on they don't have to pay for the cost of a van, training and qualifications, buy a regs book, and buy some very expensive tools (i am looking to replace my tester that will st me back £1000), then theres scheme membership, lads wages, etc, etc need i continue?

Oh and smaller profit does not = greater turnover it equals a road to bankruptcy.

you all choose to misunderstand what i said. Of course you have to cover your costs, living expenses and make a profit to allow for replacing tools etc or expansion. but i am suggesting that a lot of businesses and that includes the top "managers" are obscenely greedy.As for Brit.Gas and other utilities, I don't know what sort of accounting systems they use, but but whoever wrote those programs should be sacked for sheer incompetence. Come to think of it, so should their top managers. Now I really have to go otherwise My Victor Meldrew hat is coming on! LittleJohn of the Daily Mail for Prime Minister! LOL

Price to do a job also has large regional variations. The famous London-based Pimlico Plumbers (they do electrics, and other stuff too) very kindly publish their set hourly rates.
Read, and weep. Note these prices do not include VAT, nor materials:eek:!!

yea 1.5mm, 2.5mm 4mm, 6mm, 10mm, 16mm, 75mm etc all refer to CSA of the cores, nobody ever bothers with the 2 after mm because it's a) lots of effort to change it to the little superscript 2, and b) everyone (generally) knows what you mean.
But mainly (c) - they are lazy, careless, imprecise little (*"&$^%#@s who don't care one little bit about precision, accuracy, correctness etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back