SWA current capacity

I guess the intention is that a qualified person needs to select the correct mcb to match the cable size. ... Therefore parts can be replaced by diyers but not new circuits designed/created
Are you saying that you believe that changing an MCB (to one of different rating), alone, constitutes creation of a 'new circuit', and hence notifiable?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I didn't say that. Nor is it a new circuit.
I know you didn't - that's why I asked :) I'm really just exploring the totality of the situation. IF you don't believe that changing an MCB to one of different rating creates a 'new circuit', then one could do that without notification (certainly in England). If subsequently (days, weeks, months or whatever later) one replaced the cable, that wouldn't be creating a 'new circuit' either - so, again, not notifiable. So, if it's not a 'new circuit' when the two parts of the job are done days/weeks/months apart, logically nor would it be a 'new circuit' if the two jobs were done on the same day(s), would it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
New circuit or not, the fact is that it won't be notified in 99% of cases.
I don't know about the percentage but, in concept, you're probably right about DIY work.

But what about a self-certifying electrician? Do you think that (s)he would feel that replacing a circuit's cable and changing it's MCB to one of different rating did, or did not, require notification to his/her scheme (in England)?

Kind Regards, John

I would say that replacing a faulty MCB with the same would definitely NOT constitute a new circuit merely a replacement.

Fitting a different MCB - rating or type - would, by definition, make a different circuit and therefore, new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back