SWA or conduit?

Domestic garage full of the usual stuff, I would cable up socket and lighting runs via:

• Plastic conduit

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Steel conduit

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • SWA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sponsored Links
As a more general comment (given the nature of this forum), I don't really think that steel conduit is often, if ever, going to be a viable option for an 'occasional DIYer'.
Nonsense. It's a perfectly viable option for anybody who wants it.
Goodness, it's late on Saturday night again!

Is this a quibble regarding the dictionary definition of "viable", or what? I would think that the average 'occasionally electrical DIYer' would be unlikely to encounter situations in which steel conduit was a reasonable option much more than once or twice in a "DIY lifetime" - and, as such, I really don't think that it would make sense for them to acquire the skills and acquire (or hire) the necessary equipment.

Kind Regards, John

Is this a quibble regarding the dictionary definition of "viable", or what?
Not on my part.

I would think that the average 'occasionally electrical DIYer' would be unlikely to encounter situations in which steel conduit was a reasonable option much more than once or twice in a "DIY lifetime" - and, as such, I really don't think that it would make sense for them to acquire the skills and acquire (or hire) the necessary equipment.
I wish I understood why the concept of "depends why one is doing it" is either so confusing to you and PBC that you just ignore it, and pretend that I haven't said it or so threatening to you that you have to act in denial of my having said it.

Sponsored Links
Depends on why you're doing it.
By some criteria PVC conduit is not adequate.
I accept that in some cases metallic conduit might be the better choice, or indeed the only acceptable choice. Or it might just be that somebody wants to "go to town" on making a good job and isn't worried about the cost. I was merely suggesting that in the typical, average, run-of-the-mill domestic garage where the wiring is run in such a way as to be generally "out of the way" of damaging knocks from heavy equipment, where there is no need to resort to seals for hazardous areas and so on, PVC conduit is probably adequate. As it was a general question without specifics, obviously any of us might change that opinion in certain instances.

I would suggest that Bas takes a foot of steel conduit and a foot of PVC out in the garden with a bit of twin and earth and a hammer. Put the cable in the conduits on the ground and try hitting the conduit with the hammer until the cable is damaged. Come and report back when you get bored of that :p.

Twin clipped direct where tools are hung in a garage can be a bit vulnerable to damage, but it is extremely difficult to envisage a situation where PVC conduit would fail to protect against this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back