Unblocking SWA conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any ideas about unblocking a conduit thats blocked with some concrete?

I have a 150cm twin-walled PVC conduit under porcelain slabs with a SWA cable running through it that has been clogged up with concrete near one end when the patio was being laid. I could do with passing another cable through the same conduit, so does anyone know any tips for unblocking the conduit? One end is open so I can get the cable about 95% of the way through before it hits a roadblock.

Cola to dissolve the concrete? Some other substance that would at least soften it, but wouldn't damage the conduit or the SWA sheathing?

Sponsored Links
Brick acid may dissolve some of it, certainly the cement part.

however be warned, this is a dangerous product as it's basically just a bottle of hydrochloric acid.
It won't damage the plastic cable covering, but most certainly will attack any metal.

150cm duct? Send the kids down :)
150mm is probably more realistic.
If you have any slack in the existing cable try pulling that to and fro.
Is it a straight shove through the duct to the blockage- if yes you could have a careful go with a scaff pole but there's always the risk of damaging the SWA.

Sorry I meant 150cm length! Its about an inch diameter. :LOL:

Unfortunately isn't straight as it goes under one part of the patio and comes up the other.

Been thinking about the Bostik stuff. Just wasn't sure if it would damage the SWA. I guess if the cable is covered then there shouldn't be any metal exposed?

Sponsored Links
Ah ok. Try waggling the existing. Then try a cable fish (think machine mart sell them). Hope you're not planning anything too chunky extra cable wise, there won't be much of a gap. Also hope you still have the draw wire in, pushing cable through is so boring :)

Its just an armoured CAT6e cable that I wanted to push through. Will fishing cable find its own hole to go through (if there is one)? And something like this will do?

If the concrete infill is just near the end, you may be able to chip away at it with a small chisel/screwdriver. Break small bits off at a time and vacuum them away. After a while you may be able to see how far back it goes and then try some form of hook to pull it away.

If the concrete infill is just near the end, you may be able to chip away at it with a small chisel/screwdriver. Break small bits off at a time and vacuum them away. After a while you may be able to see how far back it goes and then try some form of hook to pull it away.
Mmm, hadn't thought of that- yes if the blockage is at/near the surface and visible that'll be a much easier way to attack it.

SWA doesnt need to be inside conduit.
Any chance you can jiggle a space under the slabs, maybe alongside the twin-wall conduit?

SWA doesn't need a conduit correct, but I laid the conduit when the patio was being put in place knowing I'd need to run a SWA through it to power the outbuilding in the garden. Also useful if I ever needed to replace the cable as I won't be able to lift a porcelain patio - shame my patio guys were so careless.

617nGrHjL-L._AC_.jpg

Im dealing with something akin to this, except the patio is above the conduit, which comes up in the gravel border between the patio and a brick wall. The blockage is about 6 inches past the 90 degree bend. SWA is already in the conduit, but I now thought to run an ethernet cable in the same conduit.

looks like that conduit would just pull out of that trench, and make it easier to find and clear the blockage. as has been said swa doesnt need conduit anyway and if you are going to put in armoured cat 5 that doesnt need conduit either

looks like that conduit would just pull out of that trench, and make it easier to find and clear the blockage ...
That would be true for whoever is the own of that patio in the photo of, but, if I understand correctly, as for the OP's situation ...
o<picture>
Im dealing with something akin to this, except the patio is above the conduit ...

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back