Swapping single oven for double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've removed my rubbish old single oven. It's gone.

New double oven from JL delivered today. No wire to connect it up came with it.

So, I'll be off to chat to the B&Q guys (there's two electicians there that do know their stuff).

So, I need 6mm T&E. I'm happy wiring it up. Took photos of the original so that's fine.

The thing I'm wondering about is this 35amp fuse. So, I know for a fact the old oven only pulled 8amps as I clamped it with a meter from work to check it. The power rating on the new device is 5.9-6.4kw.

Question I'm wondering about is this.

I'm guessing I will need a new breaker for the oven on the consumer board. So, I buy a 35amp breaker for the consumer board. But, will the existing wiring between the consumer unit and the bit i wire it into in the wall behind the oven be ok? Visually it looks to me like it's 6mm already. House was built in 1986. There is also a main oven switch on the wall in the kitchen. edit to say There;s a 13amp fuse on a different switch between the mains oven switch and the point where i'd wire in the oven. i expected this 13 amp fuse is for the socket on the "mains oven switch" but it's not, just removed that fuse and the device plugged in to that switch still works.

[code:1]
schematic of setup:

consumer board
|
"mains oven switch" (double socket, got the kettle plugged into it).
|
another switch (edit to say, thing this is just a fuse for yet another socket and nothing to do with oven)
|
termination point in wall for N,E,L wires. This is where the old oven was wired too.
|
old oven and one day the new one![/code:1]

Thanks for any help you can provide. Obviously I'll be chatting to the guys at B&Q but thought I should go with all the information necessary - hence the post here.

Cheers

JD

Sponsored Links
6.4kw = 6400 / 230 = 27.8 Amps
You'll need 6mm cable & a 45amp double pole cooker switch to connect it to & put it on a 32amp breaker.
Should go like this
consumer unit > cooker switch > cooker
or you can do it this way
consumer unit > cooker switch > cooker connection unit > cooker

will the existing wiring between the consumer unit and the bit i wire it into in the wall behind the oven be ok?
A sparky will need to check that by carrying out an insulation resistance test to check if the cable is damaged, its not something you can see visually.[/quote]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back