Switch for Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a set of MR16 under-cupboard downlights which are powered off a transformer which has a flex and standard 3-pin plug. The plug socket i want to plug this into is behind a cupboard so is a pain to switch the lights on and off. I want to extend the flex between the transformer and the plug and inlude an in-line switch. I've seen some switches rated at 2A - is this OK or, alternatively, if this depends on number of lamps, transformer etc... how can i work out if a 2A rated switch is suitable?

Sponsored Links
B-A-S - i knew i'd get that reply :oops: hence my 'disclaimer' towards the end of the post. No idea to be honest - i installed them years ago and never use them because it's too much hassle plugging them in - will check tonight and post the detail in the morning.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Renew them with some nice slimline fluorescent tubes then. The new ones for this purpose are high frequency (so no flicker and no humming) and much nicer than halogen light.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion but with the on-going loft conversion that will have to be a project for the future. Only looking into the switch because we've had a move around over the festive holiday and it made me remember they're there!!!

You guys have a link to the slimline fluorescents? Not seen them before?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back