Extendin a flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought some low volgtage cabinet downlights that have a transformer. They come with a plug to be attached to the mains.

The flex is not log enough, so rather than using an extention I would like to cut the plug off and extend the flex (maybe including a switch) and add the plug back on.

Is there any reason that this should not be done with this type of lighting? Its just that the instructions say that if the flex is damaged or cut then consult a profesional or service engineer. I think this is just a normal legal warning that they have to put.

Sponsored Links
mdlyons said:
I have just bought some low volgtage cabinet downlights that have a transformer. They come with a plug to be attached to the mains.

The flex is not log enough, so rather than using an extention I would like to cut the plug off and extend the flex (maybe including a switch) and add the plug back on.

Is there any reason that this should not be done with this type of lighting? Its just that the instructions say that if the flex is damaged or cut then consult a profesional or service engineer. I think this is just a normal legal warning that they have to put.

No problem with that. As long as the flex still runs into the transformer, make sure all your connections are tight.

Another thing, I would stick with the switch idea (Switched Spur). Terminate both ends of the cable here. This would save having to use a JB, because they have to be accessible and would look rubbish.

Why not just extend the flex with an in-line switch?

Sponsored Links
Something like this is the best option.

If you can't re-use the existing plugtop, (if it moulded for example) make sure you use the fuse that is supplied in the plugtop that came with the transformer.

Also make sure you extend the flex with the same sort of flex that is supplied with the transformer.

RF Lighting said:
Something like this is the best option.

If you can't re-use the existing plugtop, (if it moulded for example) make sure you use the fuse that is supplied in the plugtop that came with the transformer.

Also make sure you extend the flex with the same sort of flex that is supplied with the transformer.

What connections are in the in-line cord switch? LNE?

TheGaffersSon said:
What connections are in the in-line cord switch? LNE?

Yes

They will probably take a maximum of 1.00mm² in the terminals

If they don't have all the terminals, you can take the E & N through unbroken.

How did it go?

I am in the same situation, I will probably use a DP switch.

MKK5403.JPG

securespark said:
You can if you are fitting it into an existing flex.

You cannot if, as in this case, you are fitting it between the ends of two separate lengths of flex because one of the reasons for doing it is to extend the flex.

I don't like joining flex, my preference would be to fit a new flex of the correct length. High street hardware stores sell 10-metre lengths of various flex for a few pounds.

ban-all-sheds said:
securespark said:
You can if you are fitting it into an existing flex.

You cannot if, as in this case, you are fitting it between the ends of two separate lengths of flex because one of the reasons for doing it is to extend the flex.

Fair enough, in this case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back