Flex or T&E?

mortar? you sure it's not sand and cement? ( although I suppose that's technically mortar... )

it's mixed in a different ratio and with different sand isn't it?
or at least that's what I thought..
the S 'n' C I've come across is hard as hell whereas most mortar I;ve ever srilled into is fairly soft..

Sponsored Links
mortar? you sure it's not sand and cement? ( although I suppose that's technically mortar... )

it's mixed in a different ratio and with different sand isn't it?
What am I, a builder? :LOL:

It is pretty hard stuff.

As for split-con not being earthed all the way round, the other half being the neutral - well that's the whole point - the picture-hanger's nail will be in contact with EITHER earth or the neutral before hitting a phase conductor, thus the OPD will operate and you live to hang another picture.

there's the possibility there to hit the neutral but not the live, leaving you with a nail at neutral potential..

if that happens to be a fair way from the TN interface, or a broken neutral etc then there could be a fair PD between the N and Earth..
lean on a rad while hanging a new picture and you're in trouble..

Utter *******s.

Get a grip of yourself my son. If the potential of your neutral differs by more than a few volts to local earth potential, then don't be fannying around posting on DIY forums, GET YOURSELF ON THE BLOWER TO THE DNO!

If we are to play your pedantic game, I suppose you thin a nail hanging out of the armour connected to earth on a TN-CS installation is unsafe too? There's gonna be a whore of a potential when the neutral (and thus "earth") is carrying 80amps and your man is stood on mother earth. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I'm only suggesting hypotheticals to explain why split con isn't suitable as a "cable with earthed metallic sheath"..

the odds of leaning on a rad while changing a ligtbulb in a metal fitting in the bathroom while but nekind and soaking wet is negligable, but we still have to EPB it all together..

the people who write the regs have to come up with these hypotheticals and make rules to deal with the ones that are not completely ridiculous.

I'
the odds of leaning on a rad while changing a ligtbulb in a metal fitting in the bathroom while but nekind and soaking wet is negligable, but we still have to EPB it all together..

No we don't.

I can understand some of the reasoning for not allowing split con to be used as an unprotected concealed cable method - it would be fun if half of the conductors were used for switch live!

The bathroom situation afaik is to do with potentials from outside the equipotential zone for example from a fault elsewhere in the installation, not really to do with changing a lamp.

I'

No we don't.
you do unless you can RCD it all and prove that the metal pipework etc is bonded to earth somewhere in the installation..

Spark123 said:
The bathroom situation afaik is to do with potentials from outside the equipotential zone for example from a fault elsewhere in the installation, not really to do with changing a lamp.

I didn't mean as for getting a shock from the lamp itself, more touching the earthed metal of the fitting while changing the lamp, and the possibility of that metal fitting not being the same potential as the radiator ets..

I wonder if it would violate any regs to use the different blue conductors in a (non-buried) run of split con for individual switched lives and the central brown core as a common neutral......

Possibly not, but it would cause a lot of head scratching for anyone trying to figure out what is going on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back