Switch to Broadband

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am on a dial up right now with internet provider being Tesco. I wish to switch to their broadband but I am worried about the possible downtime if there is any impact on my email account. You see I work from home and currently my email goes through 1and1.co.uk to enable me to have my business email address. My concern is how to transfer over without issues, in other words, key steps to take with both Tesco and 1and1 before hand to ensure a smooth transition. I have sent email to both companies who have been bland and disinterested in their replies and say no worries! Somehow, I doubt this and have ben deklaying months waiting for a quiet period in case it all goes t*ts up and no quiet period is ever gonna happen to reduce the risk from business email perspective.
Any advice or questions?
Thanks for help in advance.
S

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that you have an email address of [email protected] where yourdomain.com is hosted by 1and1, which you then forward to [email protected] ?

If so, you should be able to forward the emails to another account as well so just set up a Gmail account and forward to that then if there's any problems you can just use the webmail.
You can set up Gmail to appear to come from your own domain too.

Another easy thing - you can generally pick up email even if you're logged in through another ISP, for example at an Infernet Caf, or a hotel, or someone else's house; so as long as your Tesco address is live, you can still pick it up when logged in through your Broadband account.

You have to set up the POP and SMTP addresses; there's something extra you have to do when logging in through another service, I think I followed some advice from Igorian which is still on here somewhere.

You can continue to use dial up until the broadband is up and running, one does not exclude the other.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that you have an email address of [email protected] where yourdomain.com is hosted by 1and1, which you then forward to [email protected] ?

If so, you should be able to forward the emails to another account as well so just set up a Gmail account and forward to that then if there's any problems you can just use the webmail.
You can set up Gmail to appear to come from your own domain too.

Thanks, you have the gist of it. I would say though that I would like to keep these two accounts as they are and simply make a switch over, somehow. Not set up new accounts or do anything that will change my two email addresses, the company one and route base tesco.net one.

I am aware that 1and1 have an internet route in which I could always use in emergencies, but its slow and awkward, so only for emergencies or from cafe or hotel as suggested.
S

Back