Switches for two lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best way to wire this configuration.

1. Switch 1 lights up Light 1.
2. Switch 2 lights up both Light 1 and Light 2.

I was hoping to use a single 2 way centre off rocker switch but I think that's not doable. Because with that I'll either light up Light 1 or Light 2.

I need this for two purposes.

a. In the ensuite in normal usage I need both the light and extractor to come on. But in the light I want only the light to come on and not the fan.
b. In the bedroom in normal usage I want only the perimeter to be light. But if I need more light use another switch to light all lights.

Sponsored Links
Scrap the system for the ensuite.

Just fit a triple pole switch for the fan for maintenance purposes. This way, with the TP switch on, both light and fan come on.

With the TP switch off, the fan is isolated, but the light still comes on.

As for the bedroom how are the switch wires arranged at the switch?

Can't you just fit a two (or more) gang switch, wired to several fittings so you can choose how many are on or off?

At the moment for the ensuite there is a TP isolator but that is above the door far from reach. Currently we have 2 switches each operates the light and fan separately and that works great. I just wanted to know if there was a way to have less button presses for normal usage because 90% of the times we need both the fan and light to come on. Its just when you use the ensuite in the middle of the night when you don't want the fan to start.

As for the bedroom lights. The switch wires can be arranged as I need. I have two sets of 3 core + earth coming down to the switch box. I know I can easily just add one set of lights on one switch and the other set on the other switch but again wanted to know if there was another way I can have it switch some or switch all.

Bathroom: I'm sure you could have what you describe with a three position switch, but to wire it you'd need to know how the rest is wired up.

Bedroom: Similar. You could wire up one light to one terminal of the three position switch and the others to the other.

But, as there are several light fittings, this would limit your options.

Best to have a multiway switch, then you have more choice.

Silly question maybe, but why is it important for you to reduce switch presses to a minimum?

Sponsored Links
where can I buy a 3 position switch or a multiway switch.

Also please show me how I would connect these up. Assume I have only 2 bulbs and I want 1 to light up or both to light up.

According to me if I wire it for both to light up then even when I send power to only 1 bulb it will find its way to the 2nd bulb too.

I have a similar set up in my bedroom, one spotlight as a nightlight, but I didn't want to have to switch it on as well as the other switch as a) I can't get another 3C+E down the existing chase, and the nightlight switch is at the total opposite end of the room (by the head of the bed). My solution is as follows:

Using a piece of three core + earth, connect one to the lamp's live fitting, one to the switched live and one to the permanent supply.

It doesn't matter which cores go where, but remember which went were and sleeve them all brown

Then in a 2 way switch:

Light Fitting - Common
Switched Live - L1
Perm Live - L2

But does your nightlight come on using the main switch of the bathroom?

If possible please draw me a quick wiring diagram. Hoping that your nightlight is operated by Switch 1. But your main bathroom switch 2 also puts on the nightlight alongwith the rest of the other lights.
This is exactly what I need.

where can I buy a 3 position switch or a multiway switch.

Also please show me how I would connect these up. Assume I have only 2 bulbs and I want 1 to light up or both to light up.

According to me if I wire it for both to light up then even when I send power to only 1 bulb it will find its way to the 2nd bulb too.

Yes. I thought you wanted to wire 1 lamp to one switch position and one (or more) to the other.

But the switch is here:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4899.html

Not if you use a 2-pole 3-position switch like the one securespark linked to.

Call the two poles of the switch a & b

Either:

Permanent live to COMa
L1a & L2a connected together and to one light and to COMb

L1b or L2b to the other light.

OR

Permanent live to (L1a & L1b) and (L2a or L2b)

COMa to one light and COMb to the other.

[EDIT] :oops: [/EDIT]

thats my problem. I cannot find a switch that has 6 terminals at the back. i.e. a DPDT with centre off.

Even the MK switch (linked) and the Crabtree and GET 2way centre off switches all have only 3 terminals at the back Com, L1 and L2.
I wouldn't have been asking this question if I had a 2 way, double pole switch with centre off - it would have been dead easy.

i've looked and the closest that comes to a douple pole 2 way switch is for outside use and those too don't have a centre off function.

I don't think I can use a SP 2 WAY centre off button for this. Because as mentioned I need Light A to come on with one click (or switch) and then Light A + Light B to come on with the other click (or switch).

So unless someone can point me to such switches in the UK, I am stuck with putting in two switches to control the two lights separately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back