switching 10+ year old condensing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering on the best way to go when getting rid of the boiler. Obviously we are set up for a condensing boiler so if we just lifted the old one off the wall and bolted a new one in place (simplification I know) would that be a good option or should we take the opportunity to replace with a combi. House is 1930's with 4 rads downstairs, heated towel rail in bathroom, 3 rads upstairs, house has electric shower. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You can buy a combi but use it to heat as you currently do.
You then have the option should you want to use a combi in the future.

Buying a combi instead of a system boiler is often cheaper too.
That is if your plumber knows what he is doing. Most won't be able
to handle the idea it will be beyond them.

You should be going to a sealed system at the very least and removing
the central heating header tank if you have one.

Sponsored Links
If you only have one shower, then a combi (well thinking about it, the right one) will give a better shower than a electric shower.

Generally a combi is a no go with two showers.

Not sure of the boiler make and model but it does have an old FEP badge on it who I haven't seen around for years. I wasn't planning on doing the job myself although I realise the way I had written the post could be interpreted that way am just looking for suggestions.
I thought that for houses of a certain size that combis gave instant hot water and allowed for the removal of storage tank were the way to go?

If you only have one bathroom, a combi may be suitable for you. Because combis don't store hw, they heat the cold as it passes through boiler, it can really only supply one outlet well. If you have lots of hw demand at the same time, a combi may struggle and you would be better off with your current setup.

At least the combi will give a better shower than the electric shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back