switching oil boiler to gas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Ipswich Massachusetts and have a 1930's+/- boiler with newer burner. Natural gas is available to the house so I could change over to gas. I have the old, large cast iron radiators in all rooms. should I switch? super effecient vs standard (90+ vs 80+ eff.)?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Hi and welcome. Unfortunately this is predominately a UK forum, so as we do not know the costs of oil v gas in the USA we cannot advise accuratley.

If you were in the UK then natural gas every time ;)

Thanks anyway. oil is about $3.40 american now which is very high.

Thanks anyway. oil is about $3.40 american now which is very high.

That means absolutely nothing unless you say what volume is involved!

In the UK we probably pay about 60p/li.

Even though the US can send people to the moon they cannot always quote the price of oil correctly!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thank you Tony for your observations and kind words. I omitted "gallon" If you should find your way to a forum I am on I will try to be more polite to you sir.

Ken

The British Imperial gallon (4.546 09 litres (L)) is about 3% smaller than the United States liquid gallon (3.785411784 L).

The price of heating oil in the US and in the UK is probably about the same as we dont pay much duty/tax on it.

I was born in Ipswich in the UK !!!

Tony

I live in Ipswich Massachusetts and have a 1930's+/- boiler with newer burner. Natural gas is available to the house so I could change over to gas. I have the old, large cast iron radiators in all rooms. should I switch? super effecient vs standard (90+ vs 80+ eff.)?

Ken
Well, I`m Sussex born+bred.....and maybe more used to old style heating systems .I personaly would stay with oil.....your cast rads are releasing heat slowly and a gas burner going on/off ...possibly more rapid cycling than it`s design optimum....is a waste of $$.....stay with the oil...ditch Bush ;) ;)

The British Imperial gallon (4.546 09 litres (L)) is about 3% smaller than the United States liquid gallon (3.785411784 L).

Don't you mean that the US gallon (3.8 ltr) is 15% smaller than the UK gallon (4.5 ltr)?

Rgds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back