Syncron motor

• Thread starter undertrained
  • Start date
U

undertrained

Hi,

Is there a way if testing a syncron motor before fitting? e.g. Resistance value. The reason is there maybe one I've had a while and want to make sure it works or I haven't thrown the wrong one away?

Sponsored Links
Check Youtube.

Read the comments on the above video before attempting anything.

btw, check that the motor is actually being fed with the correct voltages before stripping it down.

The bloke in that video says that if the wires are the wrong way round supplying the motor then the motor will turn the wrong way, it wont you can connect them up either way round it doesnt matter, cant remember the resistance , easiest way to test it connect to plug put a 3 Amp fuse in and turn on and see if the small gear wheel rotates, remember it turns very slowly

The bloke in that video says that if the wires are the wrong way round supplying the motor then the motor will turn the wrong way, it wont you can connect them up either way round it doesnt matter, cant remember the resistance , easiest way to test it connect to plug put a 3 Amp fuse in and turn on and see if the small gear wheel rotates, remember it turns very slowly

I cant be bothered to watch the video, but how would you know which is the "right" way? :confused::confused::)

Sponsored Links
The motor will only turn one way....there's a mechanism inside to force the motor one particular direction.

Power up the motor (make sure you earth the casing) and feel the torque on the cog...it should be difficult to stop the rotation.

Motors also fail by becoming magnetised so once powered and in the stalled position they fail to return...the springs being unable to break the slight magnetic forces keeping the rotor in its current position.

Any motor other than a genuine US made Synchron...chuck it.

It is what is called a 240v synchronous motor, which can run either way as they often do in a microwave, but for this application and electric clocks they have a pal system which forces them to rotate the right way. Just connect it across 240v and it should rotate the gear slowly.

I cant be bothered to watch the video, but how would you know which is the "right" way? :confused::confused::)
He actually traces which side a motor with brown and blue wires, is orientated , and follows this as the replacement motor has 2 x blue wires, its a 240v motor FFS it wont care about polarity

It is what is called a 240v synchronous motor, which can run either way as they often do in a microwave, but for this application and electric clocks they have a pal system which forces them to rotate the right way. Just connect it across 240v and it should rotate the gear slowly.
The motor will only turn one way....there's a mechanism inside to force the motor one particular direction.

It's a shaded pole synchronous motor, synchronous because it rotates synchronously with the supply frequency (in the UK this is 50Hz).
The shaded pole (usually a copper strip in place of part of the iron stator) causes it to rotate in one direction regardless of the wiring 'polarity'.

There is also a potential problem with the gearing wearing out on the cheaper alternatives. I always keep my new ones in the packaging, even if I've opened one and not used. The genuine ones have a datecode to help you identify the old ones, a simple MM/YY.

Get the Drayton packaged motor..they use the genuine motors. The copies often last 18 months or less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back