syphonic toilet overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,can anybody tell me if it is possible to change the syphon inside one of these toilets to one with an internal overflow?thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, but don't.
Fit a flapper valve.
Dual flush, internal overflow, very little to go wrong, easy to fix in the unlikely event that it does.

Internal overflow syphons are just a shorter version of what's already fitted, nothing more.

yes i am talking about a syphonic pan,want to know if i can fit flush valve with internal overflow,am guessing not,thanks for replies.

Sponsored Links
If it's a Doulton pan/cistern leave well alone unless there's a problem. If it's not flushing correctly then you'll need to replace like for like and reassemble with care or it still wont work! ;)

yes i am talking about a syphonic pan,want to know if i can fit flush valve with internal overflow,am guessing not,thanks for replies.

Yes it could be done but Unless you get someone in that understands how the pan works I wouldn't bother, because your next thread will be asking why the pan doesn't flush.

If you have a waste pipe handy you could use one ot these to save taking it outside.

View media item 15174

thanks,somebody has bought this syphonic toilet and wants me to fit it but doesnt want overflow showing,hence my question,think i'll advise against fitting it as seems like it could be trouble!

The Doulton syphonic pans seem to block for a pastime, they really dont like solid matter! Parents had one, then I bought a house with a pair of them. (All long gone now!) We used to keep a 4" plunger on a rod next to the pan to save embarassment when the inevitable happened..... :LOL:

The Doulton syphonic pans seem to block for a pastime, they really dont like solid matter! Parents had one, then I bought a house with a pair of them. (All long gone now!) We used to keep a 4" plunger on a rod next to the pan to save embarassment when the inevitable happened..... :LOL:

Answer Hugh and the OP in one.

The syphonic toilet is the best you can get, other than heavy water use.

If the water level rises when you flush it means it hasn't been assembled correctly.

There's an air valve on the end of the syphon with a dip tube and 1/2 moon washer, this all has to be in the correct place.

To the OP I'll take the pan and cistern of your hands any day.

I had these W.C.'s apart on several occasions, soon learned what happens if the 1/2 moon washer isnt seated correctly! Personally I felt they were a good invention, only flaw being the syphonic action wasn't strong enough to clear the pan. :(

It was fine with 'liquids', anything else, (I dont know if the Northamptonshire water was to blame or Ma's cooking :LOL: ), but more than 2 sheets of paper and it would get round the first bend then the pan started to fill up. (Quick plunge soon sent the lot on its way!)

I was hoping to salvage the white version I had in the downstairs loo, sadly the outlet broke whilst trying to extract it from the drain connection prior to rebuilding the utility area of the house. :(

The Pampas version from upstairs came out intact other than needing a new bomb, unfortunately it went to the tip a few months ago otherwise you could have had that with pleasure Doitall if it was any use to you.

The bombs are easy enough to get.

Never had any problem with them flushing when the 1/2 moon washer was in place.

Shout if you ever get one, they are like gold dust around here.

My old mum's house still has a siphonic WC where the old flusher has been replaced with a flapper which has an internal overflow, and it works fine, although as it shuts so smartly it does not refill the pan to the usual high level because there is not much "residual dribble" from the cistern

I like siphonic WCs, shame you can't get them any more. I had one installed in the first house I bought, it cost more than the rest of the bathroom suite put together. Delightfully quiet and efficient but I believe uses more water per flush than the modern ones that don't work so well.

may be a one off but a few years a go i repaired one ,,, when speaking to the owner,,, they told me there was an identical WC upstairs which had been fitted with a fluid master flap valve.... not believing i asked to see it,,, as i believed it could not possibly work,,, but it flush perfectly,,and vac out well ,,,,,,, i dont know if any thing had been altered but it was working perfectly,,, just a one off i dont know but interesting,,,, any thoughts on why??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back