T&G cladding in bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a new bathroom as part of an extension and we were thinking of cladding the bottom half of the walls with T&G, painted satin white (tiling the upper half). The room has a shower so I'm concerned about the T&G moving with the steam that will be generated from the shower. Although the shower cubicle will be tiled floor to ceiling, so no T&G is actually in the shower area.

The walls are presently bare plasterboard, so if I glue the T&G straight to this and run a bead of PVA into the groove, will they still move/warp?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it was me I would use MR MDF T&G panelling like this

It can be glued strait on to the wall using panel adhesive ( liquid nail, no more nails etc )

I have the same set up
My bottom half of a large bathroom is normal t&g
Connected via battens and a nail gun(great tool)
top part is painted plaster
I painted the bottom with 2 coats of primer and 3 /4 coats of dulux satinwood.
Also i have a good fan installed and leave window open after showering,so damp is not a problem
You could paint the t&g with varnish after painting in satinwood
Hope this helps

or before, but personally wouldn't worry so long as it is painted ok.the outside of your wooden windows will last for years provided they are painted ok and they are exposed to direct water.

Sponsored Links
I have S/W T&G in my bathroom which only has a light wash of emulsion on it. It has moved slightly, but The effect is not really noticeable. I would also suggest MDF if you are going to paint it as it looks the same but is much more stable

Totally agree with awbcm (I'm also a cabinet maker).

I would further recommend green 9mm MDF T&G - green is more water resistant than normal MDF (doesn't de-laminate).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back