T & G Bathroom Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting T&G bathroom ceiling.

1750mm "ish" lengths being glued (Gripfill) direct to sound existing ceiling.

Am not fixing to battens as new T&G ceiling would drop below fitted wall fan and floor to ceiling door frames, so has to be direct to ceiling.

Wood has been coated with several coats of Bathroom Paint (protect from moisture etc)

Q - Can I fit T&G tight to walls ie leaving no "expansion" gap or do I need to leave a gap?

Q If leaving a gap is necessary how many mm is sufficient?

Have been in my house for 4 yrs and Kitchen ceiling is also T&G and this is fitted tight to walls and has had no problems, I hope Bathroom can be same, using gripfill nothing should move!...................hope someone agrees.

Sponsored Links
gripfill is only as good as the surface you stick it to so the paint crumbly plaster or walpaper paste is the governing factor

Are you fitting a shower in there? I've seen T&G successfully installed cut flush with walls, however if a shower head is directly below the T&G then make sure it is very well sealed on both faces and edges. The amount of condensation that will hit the ceiling could well cause you problems in the long run. :) [/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back