Taking out tiles to tie ladder to batons

i personally would go for a bit 2x1" screwed near the tile baton
or at minimum pilot into the tile baton and use a say 50mm wood screw and give a good "heave" on the baton but holding on well with the other hand to check it wont give as some tile batons can put knotty pine to shame :eek:

Sponsored Links
In the past when I needed access to my roof to remove chimney pots, fix a aerial and a satellite dish to chimney, I placed my ladder near a window with an opening fanlight and tied it to the fanlight hinges.

Probably safer tying your ladder to the rafter rather than the tile or slate batten , i tied a ladder to the 2"X1" slate batten at the eaves of a roof I was working on ,as I was stepping off the ladder onto the roof with a head of slates a gust of wind blew me off balance causing the ladder to slide sideways ,with the combined weight of myself and the slates the batten to which the ladder was tied to just snapped next thing I knew I was on the ground, luckily it was only a small single story extension and I only suffered a fractured ankle.
Will you find a rafter near gutter line to tie to?
I suppose if there's nothing else better than tieing to gutters

I used a builders Trowel to wedge up concrete tiles and then take out the broken tile below , when you fit the new tile you use the trowel to pull down the tiles above the new tile.

I see. Cos' it's flexible u can push it in the gap at top of tile to force it down.

Sponsored Links
The rafters are usually nailed to the wall plate which is at gutter level, a rafter can be around 4"X2" which is a lot sturdier than a 2"X1" batten which could be rotten or have knots in it.

The rafters are usually nailed to the wall plate which is at gutter level, a rafter can be around 4"X2" which is a lot sturdier than a 2"X1" batten which could be rotten or have knots in it.
So u have to lift up roof membrane?

I see. Cos' it's flexible u can push it in the gap at top of tile to force it down.
Yes, a trowel is better than a crowbar because the trowel distributes the weight of the tile above.
I used a crowbar years ago to wedge up roof tiles but because the weight of the tile above is concentrated on one small point on the crow bar the tile that the crowbar was wedged on fractured.

I guess u need to tie ladder under bottom tile. The second from bottom ones pushed up easily but bottom one wouldn't easily, force it?

Last edited:
If your roof is a concrete tile roof, then the bottom tile which falls into the gutter is usually nailed to the eaves batten.
If you push up the second tile from the bottom and take the nail out of the eaves tile then remove the tile you then would have access to the wall plate where the bottom of the rafter is nailed to, you could then tie a strong rope around the rafter and the ladder.

If your roof is a concrete tile roof, then the bottom tile which falls into the gutter is usually nailed to the eaves batten.
If you push up the second tile from the bottom and take the nail out of the eaves tile then remove the tile you then would have access to the wall plate where the bottom of the rafter is nailed to, you could then tie a strong rope around the rafter and the ladder.

Sounds great! Strange why my roofer customer who I am friendly with said the baton and not rafter to tie to. How u get nail out of that bottom tile? Just force it/pull really hard?

What rope would you use out of interest?

Could tie small top of small tower as well to rafter.

You dont need to tie to a rafter. You can't even do that as the felt is covering it. :rolleyes:

You are not trying to prevent the ladder being ripped away by the arm of God. Tying to a batten is fine.

And you dont need to use the same rope as they use to dock the Queen Mary. A washing line will do

None of this is rocket science. Just tie to the ladder to what ever is there - move a tile, tie the thing.

You dont need to tie to a rafter. You can't even do that as the felt is covering it. :rolleyes:

You are not trying to prevent the ladder being ripped away by the arm of God. Tying to a batten is fine.

And you dont need to use the same rope as they use to dock the Queen Mary. A washing line will do

None of this is rocket science. Just tie to the ladder to what ever is there - move a tile, tie the thing.
You can lift the felt up to get access to the rafter. In the event of the ladder slipping are you saying that a 2"x1" batten will support the weight of the ladder and the person on it.
I did what you advised above a few years ago and ended up on on crutches for 3months,
When the ladder slipped the 2"X1" batten snapped like a twig.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back