Taking possession of something you own.

Sponsored Links
I don't know that. But, what I do know is that, after paying the mortgage, rates and factoring charges, I didn't have anything left. I remeember going to the cash maching to see if there was anything in it, to see if I was able buy shopping, or not. I remember asking my boss if there was any overtime going and doing a bit of wheeling and dealing to make ends meet.
Same here. My house cost about 8 times my annual wage, interest rates a lot higher than now, no car, no holidays, just work to pay off my mortgage.

Sponsored Links
I rented a place out (spacious 2 bed flat) for something like £360 pcm in 2007. Guess how much the rent has increased by in the intervening 17 years ...

It now rents out for £480 pcm. A massive increase of £7.05 per year.
:unsure: Surely it’s £1,440 per year increase?

It's both extremes on here, isn't it! Landlords are evil millionaires, but they also struggle and scrape-along. People can buy houses, but people can't. Like this thread, the reality is mixed.

The lovely graph on page 1 shows the Brown/Blair scam where they tripled house prices in no time at all. Created an illusion of wealth, as people withdrew their equity and spent it on cars, buy-to-lets, facelifts, holidays... miracle economy indeed. And I see no evidence that anyone else in power would have behaved differently!

I bought my first house in 2004. The previous owner bought it in 2001 for £39k. I paid £100k. That's the Brown/Blair house boom right there. So my salary wasn't going into the general economy - it was tied-up feeding a giant mortgage. That borrowing was THREE times the JOINT household income (I believe in the old days, the limit was: 3x the main salary, or 2.5x the joint). It was a very small house. I couldn't see how we could ever move to a proper sized house, as our parents had. I was quite bitter towards the government and the lenders letting things get so out of hand - it felt like I was being screwed over (First year to have tuition fees too! And don't start on pensions...).

BUT... There's no point moaning. Life's not fair. Through increasing our earnings and being sensible with money (no loans for things like cars, holidays, weddings etc.) we managed to pay down quite a lot, and in 2021, were in a larger house mortgage-free.

However, were I any younger, and was facing today's prices... I don't see how people can do it. And I don't know how my kids will. I would like to see prices divided by three.

I see you are determined to ignore the fact that houses cost twice as much, relative to wages, as they did when you were young.
Back then 15% interest - now 5%
Why did it take so long to get them out? I don't know the law in Scotland.

Did you have insurance against rent arrears?
Well loosing the right to no fault evictions will just put up rental costs as LLs will increasingly have to pay extra for the insurance to cover. So guess who will be paying for that - the tenants. Every attack on the landlords by the GOV for an easy vote brownie point has resulted in the raising of rents - but somehow its the evil greedy LLs fault - so the GOV look to attack them even more but it looks like the situation has just dawned on them and so they have watered down the renters bill.

Back then 15% interest -

Yes, for a time, Thatchers incompetent failure to understand economics damaged the country severely.

But what did you pay for your first house, fifty years ago?

Strike one - blame Thatcher
Aveatry chose to raise it.

As did Thatcher.

"The 1979 Conservative government
The incoming administration of Margaret Thatcher raised interest rates to 17 per cent"

How prices are now enormously higher.

you might have missed that far to many think its far more important to have the latest i phone and new lease car than save for a house .
Oh how i laughed at a family member who straight faced said do you know how hard it is to live these day . Joint income of around 60k

Typical silly trope from a right winger
Why is it a right wing trope to point out the bleeding obvious. Phone contract £43 pm. Sky Stream, Sky Sports, Sky TV & Netflix £46pm then there is car finance for a flash Audi 100s pm, then £90 on frigging Starbucks coffee per month FFS not to mention 3 takeaways per week oh and nice hiloidays to Cancún. Oh but no -- the reason they cannot afford a house is its all landlords fault. :rolleyes:

Why is it a right wing trope to point out the bleeding obvious. Phone contract £43 pm. Sky Stream, Sky Sports, Sky TV & Netflix £46pm then there is car finance for a flash Audi 100s pm, then £90 on frigging Starbucks coffee per month FFS not to mention 3 takeaways per week oh and nice hiloidays to Cancún. Oh but no -- the reason they cannot afford a house is its all landlords fault. :rolleyes:

What did you pay for your house 50 years ago?

what where the interest rates , that could be far worse than the difference in wages to property price oh how we loved paying 15%

what where the interest rates , that could be far worse than the difference in wages to property price oh how we loved paying 15%

Sponsored Links
Back