Taking possession of something you own.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is so wrong with giving reasonable notice to take back possession of property they own and have rented out? Why should this need to go to court?

I have never asked any tenant to leave any property I own and have never withheld any deposit. I also only increase rent between tenancies. I've had many long term tenants (5+ years). I like rolling tenancies after the initial period.

What is so wrong with giving a tenant 2 months notice to leave and requiring just one month if the other way around or asking them to leave at the end of the tenancy? What would making the process go through the courts do?

Sponsored Links
Palestinians have the same problem.

_131432552_e0f5b78e191ae21976976d915f16bb3e516823cf0_286_5500_30941000x563.jpg.webp

Having a secure place to live seems a basic right to life.

It’s not very nice having to pay a large chunk of money of your monthly wages to build an asset for somebody else.

housing is one of the major factors in the huge shift in wealth from the poor to the rich.

Sponsored Links
Two months to upend your life isn't much notice. This isn't reclaiming a TV. By choosing to own and rent out a home you need to accept the responsibility that it entails.

Germanys policy is quite sensible, a minimum of three months and increasing over time.

Yes they can. All they have to do is, stick in at school, get a good job, work hard, save their pennies etc. Housing shouldn't be put on a plate for people.
When you bought your first house, fifty years ago, what was the ratio between average earnings and average house price?

The latest government data (published March 2024) reveals that the mean average UK weekly wage (including bonuses) across all industry sectors (in England and Wales) is £672 gross (that's the equivalent to an annual pre-tax salary of around £34,900.9

The average UK house price was £282,000 in January 2024 which is £2,000 lower than 12 months ago. Average house prices in the 12 months to January 2024 decreased in England to £299,000 (negative 1.5%), decreased in Wales to £213,000 (negative 0.8%) and increased in Scotland to £190,000 (4.8%).

Do the math.

Yes they can. All they have to do is, stick in at school, get a good job, work hard, save their pennies etc. Housing shouldn't be put on a plate for people.
Yep, **** the nursery workers, bin men and people who work low wages. They can use tents.

When Stivino was young, quite a lot of people were able to get permanent jobs. Secure and with prospects of promotion. Often with a pension scheme. People with jobs like that could apply for a mortgage, and get one. Some of them could go to a tech, or a poly, or a college, or a university. It was free. It could aid your career.

For some, good quality, well-maintained Social Housing was available at reasonable rent. Many first homes had gardens big enough for children to play in.

Those easy days have gone.

chrome_screenshot_25 Apr 2024 09_12_30 BST.png

Having a secure place to live seems a basic right to life.

It’s not very nice having to pay a large chunk of money of your monthly wages to build an asset for somebody else.

housing is one of the major factors in the huge shift in wealth from the poor to the rich.
what makes you think that its always building an asset for someone else .

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
When you bought your first house, fifty years ago, what was the ratio between average earnings and average house price?
but you could only get a 25 year mortgage back then you can now get a 40 year one and interest free they were not available back then either . Both these allow the cost to come down to allow people to afford it . The big stumbling block at present is deposits

• Thanks
Reactions: DP

Life shouldn't be put on a plate for people....

My parents had to struggle, work hard, make do and mend, save hard for everything they wanted, living in a two up and two down. I likewise had to do the same, and for many years. There was no sense of entitlement, rather it was a matter of providing for oneself, and taking responsibility for oneself.

Sponsored Links
Back