Taking possession of something you own.

Sponsored Links
Two months to upend your life isn't much notice. This isn't reclaiming a TV. By choosing to own and rent out a home you need to accept the responsibility that it entails.

Germanys policy is quite sensible, a minimum of three months and increasing over time.
So arguing for 3 months notice.. I don't have a problem with that. I just can't see why it needs to be reviewed/sealed by a court. it seems to be a waste of time.

Assured shorthold tenancies are no longer fit for purpose. They were introduced when the housing landscape was very different. They are not suitable for people with families who need security and stability to be able to plan their futures.

local councils tell tenants to sit and not leave they advise them to force landlords to evict them
To serve a no fault eviction notice make sure gas safety certs /electrical checks ,epc etc are all up to date as this can have a bearing on the eviction if everything hasnt been done right

Sponsored Links
So arguing for 3 months notice.. I don't have a problem with that. I just can't see why it needs to be reviewed/sealed by a court. it seems to be a waste of time.
a rental is a contract so both know where they stand and know what to expect the court only comes into it iff something goes wrong
no fault evictions are cruel inhuman expensive and wasteful------but not for the landlords
people should be fair and stick to the contract

local councils tell tenants to sit and not leave they advise them to force landlords to evict them

You are confusing local council instructions with the fact that a tenant who leaves their home without a court order can be treated as Intentionally Homeless, and therefore treated as not worthy of support.

What would making the process go through the courts do?

The requirement to go to court just makes it a little bit harder for the landlord. Why not? It might make them think twice in some situations. Everything else is stacked so much in their favour.

I'm a bit confused by your wording as well. You know there is already a requirement to go to court if the tenant doesn't leave? This isn't a new proposal.

You are confusing local counci instructions with the fact that a tenant who leaves their home without a court order can be treated as Intentionally Homeless, and therefore treated as not worthy of support.
im not confusing anything our local councils advise tenants to ignore valid no fault evictions and end of contract tenancies and stay put till they landlord is forced to go to court for a forced eviction .
You are not intentionally homeless if a landlord is doing everything rightfully and legally to take back their property or came to end of rental agreement

im not confusing anything our local councils advise tenants to ignore valid no fault evictions and end of contract tenancies and stay put till they landlord is forced to go to court for a forced eviction .
You are not intentionally homeless if a landlord is doing everything rightfully and legally to take back their property or came to end of rental agreement

The two things are sort of connected. If somebody who the council will have to house as homeless, is being evicted by a private landlord, they will often insist on making the landlord get a court order, and maybe even an eviction warrant. If the tenant leaves before this happens, then they will often be told that they have made themselves intentionally homeless.

Something is wrong in a country where a family can't buy a home for themselves to live in

But they can buy a home for someone else to profit by.
Rubbish.

The PRS is a useful resource for many people who choose, yes choose, to rent privately as opposed to buying or applying for social housing.

The sector doesn't all comprise of scum LLs charging £2000 pcm for a refurbed box room in a HMO.

I rented a place out (spacious 2 bed flat) for something like £360 pcm in 2007. Guess how much the rent has increased by in the intervening 17 years ...

It now rents out for £480 pcm. A massive increase of £7.05 per year.

The two things are sort of connected. If somebody who the council will have to house as homeless, is being evicted by a private landlord, they will often insist on making the landlord get a court order, and maybe even an eviction warrant. If the tenant leaves before this happens, then they will often be told that they have made themselves intentionally homeless.
yep i know that but as i said a rightful no fault eviction is not making yourself homeless it is just councils putting off the inevitable whilst costing the landlord money and giving the tenant a court judgement against them

Rubbish.

The PRS is a useful resource for many people who choose, yes choose, to rent privately as opposed to buying or applying for social housing.

The sector doesn't all comprise of scum LLs charging £2000 pcm for a refurbed box room in a HMO.

I rented a place out (spacious 2 bed flat) for something like £360 pcm in 2007. Guess how much the rent has increased by in the intervening 17 years ...

yep a lot of landlords would get far more money selling up and sticking the money in the bank

Looking at JohnD's graph, it appears that things were going in the right direction until new Labour got in.

'Things can only get better' ...if you own property.

Rubbish.

My math isn't too good but there appears to be a significant gap in there somewhere. :unsure:

yep a lot of landlords would get far more money selling up and sticking the money in the bank
Of course there's a balance to be struck when it comes to length of time for evictions. However up here in Scotland they're making it more and more arduous for LLs to evict, even for things like rent arrears. And there are more changes planned to make it even more so. It's no longer an even playing field up here which is all any reasonable LL would want.

Result? LLs are selling up. Thing is, if the property isn't bought by another LL (and isn't sold with sitting tenant) it simply means there's a distinct lack of private rental properties. We're seeing that up here now. However the SNP and Greens detest the PRS so it won't get any easier for LLs ... or those seeking to rent in the PRS.

Sponsored Links
Back