Taking possession of something you own.

Sponsored Links
What are you going on about? Unless I'm missing something, the property rented for £360 in 2007. It now rents for £480.

480 - 360 = 120 / 17 (years) = 7.05.

What significant gap are you referring to?

So arguing for 3 months notice.. I don't have a problem with that. I just can't see why it needs to be reviewed/sealed by a court. it seems to be a waste of time.
As far I as am aware if you are taking back the property to sell of live in yourself then theses scenarios are not included.

Germanys policy is quite sensible, a minimum of three months and increasing over time.
That seems fair and should apply to both sides
The average UK house price was £282,000 in January 2024 which is £2,000 lower than 12 months ago. Average house prices in the 12 months to January 2024 decreased in England to £299,000 (negative 1.5%), decreased in Wales to £213,000 (negative 0.8%) and increased in Scotland to £190,000 (4.8%).

Do the math.
Why do renters campaigners always quote the average price - my first house needed lot of work and was well under the average. Its false they should be quoting the average of a FIRST TIME buyer. Young people this day and age seem to want every given to them on a plate - entitled.
Yep, **** the nursery workers, bin men and people who work low wages. They can use tents.

Of course there's a balance to be struck when it comes to length of time for evictions. However up here in Scotland they're making it more and more arduous for LLs to evict, even for things like rent arrears. And there are more changes planned to make it even more so. It's no longer an even playing field up here which is all any reasonable LL would want.

Result? LLs are selling up. Thing is, if the property isn't bought by another LL (and isn't sold with sitting tenant) it simply means there's a distinct lack of private rental properties. We're seeing that up here now. However the SNP and Greens detest the PRS so it won't get any easier for LLs ... or those seeking to rent in the PRS.
When landlords sell up - how will that benefit tenants who cannot afford a house. House prices will not magically come down because landlords sell up. All that will happen is there will be less houses to rent and the rent will go up.

Sponsored Links
Young people this day and age seem to want every given to them on a plate - entitled.
I see you are determined to ignore the fact that houses cost twice as much, relative to wages, as they did when you were young.

When landlords sell up - how will that benefit tenants who cannot afford a house. House prices will not magically come down because landlords sell up. All that will happen is there will be less fewer houses to rent and the rent will go up.
You're welcome. :cool:

I wonder if this is in an area where the value of your investment has not grown enormously over 20 years.
Don't be silly, LLs are all millionaires, did you not know that? We buy properties for close to nothing and within next to no time they're worth many many times more. We're all raking it in, licence to print £££ for us all. I change my Ferrari every 3 months.

Believe it or not, you'll laugh at this, some LLs try to suggest they rent out properties at a reasonable rate. Further, they try to suggest their properties haven't shot up in value. As if ...

When you bought your first house, fifty years ago, what was the ratio between average earnings and average house price?
I don't know that. But, what I do know is that, after paying the mortgage, rates and factoring charges, I didn't have anything left. I remeember going to the cash maching to see if there was anything in it, to see if I was able buy shopping, or not. I remember asking my boss if there was any overtime going and doing a bit of wheeling and dealing to make ends meet.

Assured shorthold tenancies are no longer fit for purpose. They were introduced when the housing landscape was very different. They are not suitable for people with families who need security and stability to be able to plan their futures.
I agree with this.

I don't know that. But, what I do know is that, after paying the mortgage, rates and factoring charges, I didn't have anything left.

Imagine how much more difficult it would be now, with house prices having risen twice as much as wages.

It might have looked like you meant the increase in the annual rent (between £480pcm and £360pcm) was £7.05.
To who? I would have thought it was pretty self explanatory, anyways I'll leave it there.

I rented a place out (spacious 2 bed flat) for something like £360 pcm in 2007. Guess how much the rent has increased by in the intervening 17 years ... It now rents out for £480 pcm. A massive increase of £7.05 per year.

I don't know that. But, what I do know is that, after paying the mortgage, rates and factoring charges, I didn't have anything left. I remeember going to the cash maching to see if there was anything in it, to see if I was able buy shopping, or not. I remember asking my boss if there was any overtime going and doing a bit of wheeling and dealing to make ends meet.

Many private tenants these days do exactly that. And they won't own a house at the end of it all.

Sponsored Links
Back