tanalised decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just installed a deck in my back garden using tanalised timber, i know its treated but i would still like to treat it again but unsure what to use. our lass wants to keep it the same colour so what do i use stain or oil? spoke to 2-3 people whove spent 30quid or more on stain and the stain has all crumbled off.. any ideas just want to keep it the same colour and know that its sealed. any help appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
also what can i use to clean it before i stain/oil it? names of oil etc would be appreciated ;)

I would have thought anything by Cuprinol would be o.k. I would'nt use oil, I'd use stain. Whatever you use it won't last forever so it needs applying at least once a year,twice would be better! ;)

everyone ive spoke to said the stain has peeled off? will it be a reaction to the tanalise?

Sponsored Links
I've used stain on decking lot's of times and i've never heard of it peeling before,and i use tanalised timber. Why not get a piece of decking put stain on one end and oil on the other and place in full sun to see what happens! ;)

so stay away from oil yeah ;) ,, what about cuprinol protector will this do as our lass doesnt wanna change the colour and all the stains seem coloured no clear? also can you recommend anywhere to buy rope at reasonable prices

Why stay away from oil. It nourishes the wood and increases its lifespan. use any decking stain and youll be stuck with the colour and restaining it for years to come. I either always apply it or advise my customers to apply it when i install new decks.

Youre choice but i know what id choose

no just use the oil, the wood soaks it in. its easy to apply

Thermo said:
no just use the oil, the wood soaks it in. its easy to apply

what shall i clean it with 1st and which oil would you recommend

its a little dirty off kids going on it etc to get into house mainly soil marks,, use decking cleaner then oil it?

can you recommend any make of decking oil then thermo and which is the cheapest place to buy it

best stuff is liberon, axminster.co.uk are selling it cheap at the moment. But if thats to pricey the ronseal stuff is quite good. Shop around most sheds sell it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back