Tanking a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about using Dunlop's waterproof for domestic showers my shower and would like anyone's input on this product. I've checked Dunlop's website for product information and it seems to be lacking a bit. It just says that it contains "everything you need - primer, coating and tape" and "Suitable for concrete, cement: sand rendering, plaster, plasterboard and timber boards."

Would it be safe to say this includes aquapanels?

I've been debating on using this vs Bal WP1. I can get the Dunlop kit at my local Screwfix. I have not seen Bal anywhere at any of the local diy places, so I would probably have to order this online. I also read that Bal isn't suitable for aquapanels and that the aquapanels have to be skimmied with some type of Bal skimming agent inorder to use their tanking system. Is the Dunlop stuff the same in that it needs to be skimmed prior to tanking?

Anyone have any luck with Dunlop?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
use the wall /substrate .............

an product ......................................DOH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bal always used to say that WP1 could go straight onto the AP but now they suggest a skim of cement based tile adhesive & plastisizer first which only takes a few mins to apply.

Not used the Dunlop one but its probably the same as Dunlop & BAL are all the same company, though you do get a lot more material in the BAL kit, should find it in your local Topps Tiles.

Jason

I went to Topps Tile today looking for the WP1... wow @ £70

I asked about the skimming the AP before applying the WP1. I couldn't remember which Bal product I was suppose to mix with the flexible concrete tile adhesive and I was told that the WP1 goes straight onto the AP and that skimming is not needed even though Bal's website says it is.

Any tilers here actually skim before the WP1?

Sponsored Links
Yes, since BAL started to include it in their spec I have done it if it fails then I have no comeback and any costs will be down to me, do it as per BAls spec and any failure will be down to them.

JAson

I will do that...... Many Thanks for all your advise!

Aquapanel (knauf corp) say that their product doesn't need tanking in domestic situations. Someone in the forum even got an email from their technical dept.

The term "domestic" is open to interpritation, It is generally taken as being a hand held shower hose off a gravity system, but as most people seen to be fitting pumped and high flow heads at the moment there is a lot more water about.

Also amount of use comes into it, a domestic shower may be used 4 times a day allowing the substrate time to dry but a commercial shower could be used 40+ times a day.

When I'm fitting £15k+ bathrooms, £50 for a WP1 kit and an hours work does not seem a lot of money for peace of mind.

Jason

Judging by the amount of time you spend in this forum they are few and far between.

Anyone can overspecify to appear clever - but it's not clever - it's just plain dumb.

Follow the manufacturers instructions and learn to tile properly.

joe-90, I appreciate everyone's help including yours, however that comment was unproductive. Considering you've got 3 times as many posts in ~18 months you wouldnt expect people to critisice your "field" experience based on that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back