Applying Bal WP1 Tanking to Knauf Aquapanel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read a few threads about the WP1 Shower Tanking kit and I want to use it when I refit my bathroom next month.

I intend on using Knauf Aquapanel, tank and then apply tiles.

I have been reading the Bal data sheet...

http://194.223.92.131/pdf/Technical...hnical Data Sheets/Bal_WP1_Tanking_System.pdf

And this suggests that for tile backer board you need to

"Apply a skim coat of a BAL cement-based adhesive modified with BAL-ADMIX AD1, prior to tanking. For wall areas BAL-GRIP may be used. Allow adhesive to dry."

I am slightly disappointed as I thought the kit would contain everything I required.

I guess I should follow what the data sheet tells me, I am interested to understand if anybody has just used the primer and WP1 on Aquapanel without doing the step in the data sheet?

Sponsored Links
This is a good point Neil.

I will be tanking my shower area soon and had assumed that the kit would contain everything required too.

Could anyone offer any suggestions as to why tile-backer boards would or could need the extra prep? My guess would be due to the porosity of the surface, but surely that's better than plasterboard (if not why shell out on Aquapanel in the first place??).

Looking on the BAL website, it says the WP1 kit can be used on brick, concrete, cement : sand rendering, plaster, plasterboard, cement : sand screeds, wooden floors, and ceramic tiles.

Surely tile-backer board doesn't contain anything not on the above list?? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back