topps tiles (grrr) and adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've gone into Topps Tiles (unfortunately, the only place in my area that sells Bal products) twice and thus far the staff have been a nightmare. The first time I went in to get a bag of Bal's Rapidset Flexiable. Bal's website says when using WP1 to skim coat the wall with flexible cement adhesive mixed with admix or alternatively use the Rapidset Flexiable. So I asked for this and they asked why and I told them, and they said, don't need to skim the walls with WP1 even though Bal says to. And I was also told that the rapidset flexible is for the floors only, you don't put them on the wall (even though bal says it's for both). Then they tried selling me the Grip instead, saying that's all I needed.

I ended up getting dunlop's rapidset floor & wall adhesive from my local builder merchant. It says on the back to use on plaster/plasterboard to mix with flexiable additive. the merchant didnt have this, but I knew Topps had bal's flexiable additive, figured it would be ok to use since bal/dunlop are the same company.

Grudgingly I go back to Topps Tiles to get this flexiable additive. £33 - ouch - it's 3x more then my 20kg bag of adhesive! Again, I'm asked why do I need it, when there's flexiable adhesive. I said that the adhesive I have says to use it with plaster/plasterboard. I asked about the rapidset flexible (again) and told me that you can't use it on the walls, it's only for the floor. (Grrr, Bal says it's for the floor and the wall!) Then continued on with the Grip stuff (again) and said that's all I need. I ended up getting a tub of it, but am thinking about returning it.

I'm now really frustrated with Topps, seems as though they are purposely misselling the products for their own gain and are not telling people the correct information regarding Bal products.

Now I am unsure what kind of adhesive I need to be using. I dont want to go back to Topps unless I'm returning the Grip. I can't find the flexible addictive I need locally. This pretty much leaves me with 2 choices..... use the dunlop rapidset without it. or get flexible wall adhesive made by unibond or store brand (all I've seen in my area)

btw, my walls aren't so much plaster/plasterboard... 1 wall is AP and the rest not really sure what it is, but it's not plaster, more like concrete (on brick), perhaps the 2 mixed, because it's not hard concrete like my bathroom floor. It actually reminds me of brick motar hard and yet easy to chisel.

The reason I went with the rapidest, was so I can get the toilet installed so it's useable after 24hrs vs 48hrs (24 for adhesive to dry and 24 for grout) and the same with the shower.

Any suggetions on what to do? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Take the grip back to topps and get a bag of rapidset flexible, you can skim the AP with this and use it on the plastered walls provided you prime them with APD (you should have enough to spare in the WP1 kit)

Print off the "wall tiling product selector" page(27) from BAL's professional fixing guide and show them that if they raise any queries.

They are probably getting more commision/profit on the grip.

Jason

Sponsored Links
kysauk
sorry you got sh**ty service at topps ....usually ok as a large store/chain for diy tilers ...

do as jase has said ,

Im quite amazed that topps have done this I would complain to the manager personally as HIS staff shouldnt be doing that , or fire off an email too Topps head office ...!!

btw I have No connection with toppers ,
just old Pro Tiler annoyed they "played you" as the Diy sheds do every day ....SHAMEFUL :( :(

kysauk
Im sure you will get some redress to this matter ...;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back