tanking tape on shower tray advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi opinions greatly appreciated....
im about to start tanking around square shower tray, one video i saw on youtube the installer used tanking tape along the join of the shower tray and wall,overlapping the shower tray by 5mm i think it was, to be then obviously covered by the tile once fitted. Ive tried looking but cant see to find any info on this?? is this just an extra precaution or just a no no.
any help its greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what you mean by "tanking".
The key to a successful shower tray is that it has raised fins on the rim.
Taping some kind of "tanking sheet" to the fins or the rim itself will work - but the adhesion will eventually fail.
What you should avoid are the custom sealing strips that peep out from below the bottom course of tiles - dont use them: when their adhesion fails, as it will, you can get various difficulties.

tanking the whole shower tray, i video i saw the guy taped the wall and overlapped the shower tray then used the paint on rubber membrane sorry if i didnt describe it very well

this is the video
its mapei installation video on screwfix

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I did understand and my opinion of these kits and esp the tape remains the same. But thats just my opinion - why not have a look at this thread in the Tile Forum: DaveyH 25 feb 2015
fitting tape for a waterproofing kit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back