Tap and Drain before I remove my Copper Cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm gonna be replacing my old Copper Water Cylinder in the Airing cupboard. Its the Indirect coil type.

Can someone just advise what taps and Draining I should do. I can see I have a tap to turn off on the pipe that leads into the bottom of the cylinder. Cannot see any taps on the pipes that feed the coil (the two pipes that go in and out of the side of cylinder).

Also what needs draining? Is it just a case of draining the copper cylinder (theres a drain pipe at the bottom), or do I need to drain all the radiators too? Sorry for asking basic questions, just don't want to undo the 3 pipes connected to the cylinder and end up with water pouring out!!!!!!

thank you

Sponsored Links
If the tap on the cold feed pipe shuts off properly, then you can drain your cylinder from the drain cock at the bottom as you have suggested.

You are probably best (as a DIYer) draining the CH system to a level below the cylinder then undoing the pipes to the coil.

If the drain cock doesn't work, or leaks everywhere, stick a hosepipe in the top fo the cylinder, and syphon the water out.

Have fun :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back