Tap leaking (lever type)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a leaking tap. It's the lever kind. I wondered if anyone could advise on how to access the washers so I can replace them? I attach a picture below. It's not obvious how this comes apart.. Advise greatly appreciated, Thanks,

WP_20160704_20_17_23_Pro.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
feel around the bottom of the handle ,should be a small grub screw that holds it onto the shaft. usually a small Allen key needed to loosen it.the type of valve you have is a quarter turn valve ,ceramic seals, does not have a washer to replace,you have to change the valve.

by the way when you say it's leaking ,do you mean water keeps coming out the spout when tap is closed ,or is water coming out where the handle is ?

Thanks terryplumb for your help. I've had a look under the handles and there are no grub screws or anything. It just looks like one piece. The handles do unscrew off, but that doesn't appear to do anything.

The tap is simply leaking from the spout. Only a drip, but it's annoying and I've been meaning to attend to it if only I can get into the silly thing!

Cheers again for your advice

Sponsored Links
if you are certain that there is nothing on the bit that the handle screws into then the handle itself is locking onto the shaft. unscrew the handle ,maybe a photo ,the piece that the handle screws onto should slide off to left.might need a bit of persuasion !!! then the chrome shroud screws off exposing the valve .

Sorry I've just taken another closer look and hey presto there is one tiny grub screw and it is on the centre spout, not the handles though.

So, I'm guessing that's what I need to unscrew to get into this.

What's the basic process once I've undone that and do I need to turn the mains off?

Thanks once again :)

Ah ok.

Well here are a couple more pics of the tap with the handle unscrewed and removed. So If I give it a bit of persuasion then you reckon it should come away? To be honest it feels pretty tight. Should I use a rag and something to grip it with?

WP_20170524_14_41_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20170524_14_41_18_Pro.jpg

try to unscrew the shroud ,it may come off past the end bit what handle screws into.can you see in the hole for a screw,( where the handle came out ).any chance of photo of the handle itself,especially the threaded end and of the entire tap itself. I thought you were working on the left tap but see now its the right. turn water off as precaution ,but defo before working on the valve itself.

Have tried the shroud, and no budgie... I don't think it can be done by hand... Any help from these pics? Also looking into the hole where the handle unscrews there's no sign of any grub screws in there even when you turn it. The innards turn with the outer housing if that makes sense.

WP_20170524_15_41_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20170524_15_41_39_Pro.jpg

ta for pics ,limescale / crud tend to make hard to unscrew ,wrap a cloth around and a set of grips needed.wd40 if you have any can help. the shroud has to come off to get to the valve but usually the bit that the handle goes into has to come off first. wd40 in the hole that handle came from as well as where shroud meets tap.the bit that handle goes into fits onto the spline of the valve ,and is pushed on and should pull off ,only the handle is clamping it in place if no screws present. you could put the handle in part way ,half way down, and try tapping handle with a block of wood ,left to right,to try to free it. be careful with grips its very easy to damage the chrome finish of the tap.

Thanks very much for your replies and help. Gonna take a look at this on the weekend properly when I have more time. But essentially I see what you're saying now. I think the limescale is definitely holding those end bits on so I will leave a bit of penetrating fluid on over night to see if that easies them off a bit,

Cheers again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back