Tap washer to sink: above or below?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When fitting a new tap to a basin, should the rubber washer be on top of the sink or underneath? I'm beginning to wonder whether finishing off the fitting with a washer above the sink not only makes for a better and neater seal than using silicone, but a more efficient one too. I followed the instructions with my last set of basin taps and put the rubber washer below the sink, but the cold tap still occasionally needs tightening up to prevent it from "swinging".

Sponsored Links
If there is only one black washer, put it between the top of the tap and the basin. That way the flat base of the tap and the flat top of the basin compress the rubber and make a seal, preventing water getting to the threads of the tap's stem. If you put it underneath, water can find its way between the basin top and the tap, and while it may get trapped under the basin by the washer, it can go down the threads of the stem and the backnut.

However, sometimes too much of the the washer shows under the tap and looks unsightly. In those cases I put it underneath the basin and put Plumber's Mait on the threads, but it's not as good as doing it the right way.

Thank you both. I understand the issue with a rubber washer on top potentially looking unsightly, but I do agree that the washer being on top saves fiddling around with silicone or, as you suggest, Plumbers Mait. As noted in my first post, when I bought my last set of taps I found the instructions to be indicating that the washer should be put underneath the sink; hence my question being prompted by subsequent problems I've had with the tap "swinging". Probably should have gone with my instinct and put it on top, but you tend to take the view that manufacturers know best about how to install their products.

Moving on from that, another question. I've bought taps from a certain well known DIY warehouse on several occasions, and they've never lasted more than 12-18 months without one of the valves, usually the cold tap, starting to feel rough in operation or ceasing to operate altogether. The triumph of hope over experience has made me go back to them again and again. Seems to me that I need to look somewhere else to buy bog standard basin taps, so any recommendations gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Bristan are good, but if you can I would avoid the "Easyfit" models. They are no easier to fit at the outset, although replacing with another "Easyfit" model is much easier, but some say they have a reputation for coming off their mountings with a subsequent major flood. If you do go for Easyfit, make sure you follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter.

Other possibles are Franke, Grohe, HansGrohe, Crosswater, VADO and a fair few others.

Thanks again. The cold tap of the pair that I fitted just over year ago and which were purchased from the DIY warehouse is already feeling rough to open and close, so I'm thinking of replacing them before it seizes up altogether.

I have heard of Bristan and will probably go down that road, especially if they warranty for five years.

Put the washer in the bin and use a split click basin tap washer from poofix or wherever. Silicone on the base plate of tap where it sits in the sink. Make sure you fit new fibre washers on the tap connector

Thanks again. The cold tap of the pair that I fitted just over year ago and which were purchased from the DIY warehouse is already feeling rough to open and close, so I'm thinking of replacing them before it seizes up altogether.

I have heard of Bristan and will probably go down that road, especially if they warranty for five years.
You could always swap them round every other week to even out the wear. :mrgreen:

Split click tap basin washer...that's a new one on me. I'll look it up.
I'll see how long I can make this cold tap last by swapping them over once a week ( what a great idea, and coz I'm semi-retired I have the time to do that) or buy a pair of Bristans.:confused:
Just looked at the catalogue and although considerably more expensive than B and Q, obviously well worth it if they give you 5 years' warranty. Should have put them on my Christmas list, I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back