Tap "wobbles" when done up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a new pair of basin taps and a shower/bath mixer. For some reason when all the taps are done up so that the water is off, on both the cold basin and bath taps you can wriggle the top of the tap and it wobbles left and right. Both the hot taps are fine and remain very sturdy.

Can anyone suggest why this is and how i can remedy this? Or should i just send them back to the shop?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the handles are loose.

Most are clamped onto the spindle with a screw. Some are held on with an allen-headed grub screw. Very few just push on.

If you post a photo then you'll probably get a definitive answer.

Here's a photo, as requested...

picture006dl8.jpg

Aha - an easy one!

Grip the knurled cap with pump pliers (or just pliers), and undo it anti-clockwise.

Look inside at screw; use appropriately shaped screwdriver to tighten up screw; replace cap.

Sponsored Links
You were right - very easy! Thanks! :D

However... now i've done both of them up (and they were very loose), the basin one seems to wobble when it's undone but is solid when it's done up. The bath one is fine.

I get the impression that this might be a tad more difficult to resolve?

Only a tad.

1. Remove the tap handle completely.
2. Unscrew the chrome collar.
3. Reinstate the handle, but without the screw.
4. Open the tap, determine what's wobbling, and tighten appropriately.

If it's the gland nut (the higher hex-shaped thing), then I'm surprised that water isn't leaking out around the spindle.

If it's the lower one, then I'd expect water to appear all the time. :confused:

If it seems to be neither, then you could just live with it, or replace the tap valve body. To do this you need to visit your local plumber's merchant (tomorrow, not today of course) with the valve body. To do this you need to isolate the supply to that tap and undo the body using the lower hex-shaped thingy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back