Tap won't turn properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am new to plumbing and will probably get a plumber to do the work, but I would just like an opinion on what is wrong so that I can be informed when talking to him (or her!). The mixer tap on my bath is quite new, but the cold tap will not turn properly. The hot tap turns 3 or 4 full rotations, but the cold only goes less than one rotation and the water flow is quite weak. Pressure is OK in my sink so I imagine that it is the inside of the tap that is at fault. I have actually taken the tap handles (?) off to see if it was anything obvious but the cold tap valve (? - looks kind of like a brass spark plug) seems to be just the same as the hot. Would it be a case of having to replace that part? If so, is it an expensive part/job? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
"Would it be a case of having to replace that part?" yes and it is an easy DIY job.

You will need to unscrew that brass part with a suitably sized spanner. (I don't remember the name of the part, it might be a "replacement valve") When you refit it you wrap PTFE tape round the thread.

There is a part that screws up and down inside it when the spindle is turned by the tap handle, you may find it has come out of place or is stuck.

You may be able to free off or reassemble the brass part, but you can buy new assemblies in the DIY shed or plumbers merchant for about £5 - £8 a pair. Bath ones are bigger than basin ones (usually) The PTFE tape will cost you about 30p - 50p for the roll. You will need silicone grease for the part that unscrews from the bottom of this brass assembly. Buy the parts and tools before you start the job. You can also buy a thing called a Tap Reviver for a few pounds more; it is that same part but supplied with a new handle to make the tap look smart again.

You have to turn off the supply to the tap before you take it apart. You have to hold the tap body in place while you turn the brass part with your spanner.

I am no plumber but I did all my downstairs taps last week as one of then had stuck, like yours. It does no harm to fit new tap washers if you are re-using the old part while you are working on it. Tap washers cost pence.

JohnD was right! Did it myself and it was very easy. Also, when I contacted Screwfix to find out how much a replacement part would be they sent me one for free with next day delivery so a very good experience all in all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back