Taps and bath fill rate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we're getting a new bathroom and last time we did this, ended getting the wrong (?) taps. Fair enough in our last house it was a low pressure system (tank in ground floor flat) but we put quarter turn taps on the bath and it took about an hour to fill up (wasn't too bad before we changed everything so I'm assuming it was the taps' fault).

We now have a combi boiler so high pressure, but I'm still nervous about getting quarter turn taps as our current set up fills the bath really quickly. I read somewhere that the ceramic discs in 1/4 turn taps slow down the rate of water flow, so does this mean that the bath will take longer to fill than if we had 'normal' taps? It's just so many of the taps that I like the look of are 1/4 turn so I'd be limiting our choice if I wrote them off.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
1/4 turn ceramic taps can give a generous flow of water, no problem at all. However, whether the combi can cope with that hot water wise would be debatable....
John :)

Thanks. Boiler does very well at the moment so I don't want to jeopardise that with rubbish taps!

I'm kind off surprised that you consider your bath to fill quickly given my experience with combi's - we had quarter turn taps in the old house with a combi and the combi was the limiting factor - turning on just the cold and we got a much better flow rate. Filling the bath took ages.

some taps are designed for high or low pressure, might you ahev had high pressure taps in your old place?

Sponsored Links
It's a Worcester Bosch Heatslave which has a tank of ready heated water so no, we get a good flow of hot water from it.

i live in a HA house,and we had a new bath fitted a few years ago.and that took an age to fill.decided to take the bath pannel off and found the hot water pipe that was fitted had a kink in it.
bent it back out and hey presto worked as it should.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back